Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need advice

Old 10-10-2000, 02:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'am in the process of buying an ATV. I have narrowed my choices down to Polaris SP500HO, Honda Rubicon or Artic Cat 500. I'm leaning towards the Polaris but I've heard some negative talk about the belt drive transmission. The concerns I have are, will this belt hold up under recreational use? (trail riding, little utility use, mudding, etc.) How hard (or easy) is it to change this belt if it goes bad? Cost of this belt? If I get into mud or water will this belt slip?
I'm refering to the 2001 model and from what I've read (mostly on this site) Polaris has redesigned the housing so that water does not affect the belt.
Any advice or suggestions on the Polaris or any of the other ATV's I have metioned would be a appreciated.

Old 10-10-2000, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

Gator1:
Since you mentioned the AC 500, I'd suggest you head over to the AC forum, and dig back a month or two maybe. There are a couple posts about using the 500 Auto for work, I've posted quite a list of things I do on a regular basis with my 'Cat, as have a number of other 'Cat owners. Also, the ATV Connection home page has had a couple of headlines about the AC used for firewood cutting here within the last week or two, and a month or so back, a full review of the '01 500 manual-both are excellent machines.

As far as your concerns about belt drives, I don't think you have anything to worry about at all. As long as you use common sense while riding, such as using low range for steep hill climbs, or while pulling heavy loads, you'll be just fine. The Polaris belts are considerably cheaper than the AC belts, but also seem like they may tend to burn up faster. Only reason I say that is because the Polaris Auto's use a snowmobile type transmission, which the belt is under tension, then released, then drawn up under tension, and released again. AC uses a constant-tension on their belts, which tends to last a while longer. Both machines have seen belt use for better than 3000 miles, which is very good in my opinion.

As for water and belt slippage, I think as long as you put it in low range while going through deep water or mud, and keep the throttle up, it will force enough air out to prevent water from entering the transmission and causing belt slippage.

Basically, I don't think you have anything to worry about with a belt driven auto, I'm sure there are quite a few others who would also agree. All three machines you have chosen are excellent choices, and all will last you for a good long while, with proper care and maintenance. I don't know a whole lot about the new Rubicon though, and honestly, that new tranny design makes me a little nervous with it being brand new this year. Perhaps in another year, it will have proven itself, but for now, I'm still a little leary, but that's my own personnal opinion, take it for what it's worth.

I'd suggest you compare all the features of the three machines in question, ride each one as much as you can and see what you like best about each. From there, you will be able to decide which one is right for you. Hope this at least gives you something to think about.

Best of luck,

Mike

Old 10-10-2000, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gator1,
Cowboy allways does an excellant job on all his posts,including this one.He tells you the truth on the belt issue to.

Most all belt problems occur from driver ignorance.Never pull,haul,mud run,hill climb,or plow in anything except low range.If you abide by these simple standards,you'll not have any belt problems.You can also ride water with very little problems to.You must make sure that the belt cover seal is properly installed and it will save you a ton of headaches.

Im very partial to the Polaris 500cc HO.You get alot more standard equipment features on it for less $$ than the Ruby,and Im not a real big fan of ACs.Good Luck on your purchase,
Bill

Old 10-10-2000, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the kind words, Bill. By the way, how's the foot doing lately? Also, are you looking at picking up a new HO? Just thought you were pretty happy with your Xplorer, though I guess it's a new year now, and a new toy would be nice!

Mike

Old 10-10-2000, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

I have not ridden either the AC or the 500SP, but ride with folks who do. They seem to like their bikes.
I am very pleased with my Rubicon. I have had it since June 14th. No problems with the 110+ degree heat in Texas. The transmission is very smooth and when accelerating, from a stop or while cruising, it immediately pulls. From a stop to high speed, you cannot feel any lurching, hesitation or jerking when it shifs. As you let off the gas, it feels like yo downshifted with the compression braking. Going downhill, it holds you to 3-4 mph. The transmission is completely sealed from the elements and is not affected by water. I am running Titan 589s on my stock wheels and cannot tell any power loss over the stock 25" tires. I am also running 28" Outlaws and the motor has plenty of torque and hp to turn them. The computer always maintains the engine in the area of maximum torque or maximum hp by your chosing D2 or D1, respectively. The suspenison rides great, also. Places where my 300 bottomed out or was rough is no problem now.

I would ride all 3 and see which feels the best to you.

Old 10-10-2000, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cowboy,
the foot is doing fine,as long as I dont play on it.I really enjoy the Xplorer alot,it has giving me many happy hours of trouble free pleasure,however,I am going to take a serious look at this new Kawasaki 650 v-twin 4x4 when it hits the showroom floors.One reason for me selling the 99 Sportsman was its weight of 697 lbs,so probably no HO Sportsman is in my near future.Im getting a little tired of oiling and adjusting my chain on the Xplorer.I REALLY keep it lubed alot,probably more than I have to.When you ride in mud as often as I do,it has GOT to be hard on a chain.I have to admit though,in the 700 miles I have on the chain,it really looks like new.I just prefer to have shaft drive for the mud,it gives me more piece of mind.

Except for having IRS,the new Kaw really sounds like its for me.The weight should be around 600lbs,switchable 2wd-4wd,true 4x4,liquid cooled,disk brakes,powerful engine,and automatic.

NOW,lets see if they can keep this thing around 7 thousand dollars?It could be my next and LAST [I think] quad,
Bill

Old 10-10-2000, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you are in for an automatic go for the new Honda Rubicon it has hondas reliability with a shaft drive (i think) but if you can use a four-wheeler with an an auto clutch go for the yamaha Wolverine