Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Rubicon or Sportsman?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on buying a new atv very soon. I am trying to decide between a Honda Rubicon or a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. I do some trail riding but it will mostly be used for hunting or muddin. Which do yall think is better?

Old 10-24-2000, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

This is a tough one. Ride both for feel. I prefer the Sportsman...but that's just me.

IRS + Mac IFS
Ground Clearance
Power
Proven mudder

Old 10-26-2000, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

The Sportsman's only advantages over the Rubicon is it has more power,has a smoother ride over rough terrain,a much better 4wd system and cost less but other than that I would get the Honda.

Old 10-26-2000, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the new Sportsman HO.It's loaded with more features than the Honda and costs less,Ride em both before you decide,
Bill

Old 10-26-2000, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

The Sportsman is a luxury ride, but on the honda,you can switch from automatic to manual shift.

Old 10-27-2000, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

I have had a Rubicon since June. I have a Highlifter lift kit and a set of 26" Titan 589s on the stock wheels and a set of Highlifter 28" Outlaws on ITP Magnums. The bike has plenty of power and torque to turn the Outlaws and the transmission is ultra smooth. Whenever you are cruising and hit the throttle, there is no lag, you instantly get the pull of acceleration. The computer always is keeping the engine in the range of maximum HP or maximum torque with the D1 or D2 setting.

It has a short-stroke, 4-valve, liquid-cooled engine that is very compact. It has an underhead camshaft design that carries the chain-driven camshaft beside and just under the cylinder head. The overhead valves are acutated by two very short pushrods. It has dry-sump oiling that helps make the engine package shorter and the oil tank is mounted on the front of the engine. The HondaMatic transmission is highly efficient. The engine drives a hydraulic pump, and the pump drives a hydraulic motor that gives a seamless, continuously variable drive. The carburetor has a heater function for easy starts in cold weather. The engine has rubber mounts and the engine has an internal balancing shaft for smoothness. The whole exhaust system is stainless steel for corrosion resistance. It has a 12 volt, 12 amp waterproof accessory socket. It has a 330-watt AC generator. It has a floorboard/footpeg setup that will give you the safety and protection of a full floorboard with the solid footing of a footpeg.

The ride is excellent. Going thru the same places with this bike compared to the 300 is no comparision. No bottoming out or jarring. The bike is very stable on off-camber ground and rides great going up or down hills at an angle.The SureTrac front diff steers easily and pulls both tires when no appreciable difference in traction exists. I have run the bike from a dead stop, applying just enough throttle to slowly turn the tires, while going up a 45 degree slope. Both tires pulled each time. When I put one tire over on some grass, it has more traction and seemed to pull more. The digital readout is nice as it tell you speed, gear you're in, mileage, trip odometer, when to change oil, hours on the engine, etc. I have been very happy with the bike and would buy another. My dealer here is great also. I would make sure whatever you buy, you thoroughly check out the dealer's reputation.

Whichever you get, you will have a solid ATV.

Old 10-27-2000, 08:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Very diiferent bikes. Either will serve you well. I have always enjoyed the Polaris machines, but now have bought the Rube. So now I have the best of both worlds. I'm happy jumping on either one, but again they are significantly different atvs.

Rick(GA)

Old 10-27-2000, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

Ditto. What TxDoc2 said.

I have had really bad luck with Polaris. I know of no one, "PERSONALLY" that has anything good to say about Polaris.

I'm not saying Polaris riders don't have good luck with their machines. I just didn't.

You have to consider what's more important to you. Honda (Reliability) Polaris (go anywhere attitude.)

The Polaris SP HO was really tempting when I was faced with this decision too. More power, 2 wheel 4 wheel switch and IRS.

Yes, the Rubicon was more money. But, I feel the difference in price will more than make up for the repairs that I was expecting based on my previous experience with Polaris.

Old 10-27-2000, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Have you test driven both quads? Its a tough call. We have 2 Rubicons & 1 Sportsman 500 in our club.

Old 10-27-2000, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Have you test driven both quads? Its a tough call. We have 2 Rubicons & 1 Sportsman 500 in our club. The Honda has plenty of power its about the same speed as the SP500, the HO has more power.

If you can wait until March, you might want to check out the new 650 Kawasaki.

Quick Reply: Rubicon or Sportsman?