Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Now the guy at the dealership is telling me that dirtbikes are safer for my family than quads?

Old 06-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now the guy at the dealership is telling me that dirtbikes are safer for my family than quads?

I really just want this to be good family time, and not kill them. Non of us are reckless, and no one except me has any experience on either. Which do you think for beginners would be safer?

Thanks,
--Rick

Old 06-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Now the guy at the dealership is telling me that dirtbikes are safer for my family than quads?

Believe it or not, the bikes are safer. Most of the time, they fall over and not on you. They weigh much less, so if they do, it's not as deadly. Chances of someone hopping on a quad and riding beyond their skill level is much greater too.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Range Rover

I found some posts about this. I searched before, and could not find anything.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

As the day goes on, I'm sure you'll get more responses on this.

Either way, hope the family has a safe and fun time.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dangerous thing about quads is that people "feel" safe on them because they are easier to ride for a newbie. Then they go fast thinking they're safe, but in reality, they are not really in control and can get hurt very easily. People are intimidated by dirtbikes, and ride them more cautious, which is why they are really safer IMO. Every machine can be safe, it is the riders that are dangerous.

I would still stick with your plan to get quads for the family and you can still be safe. Just make sure to keep your family in check, meaning that they don't ride over their limits and get that false feeling of being safe, make sure they respect the machine and always where a helmet. I know from experience, you never know when a mishap might happen, so protect their noggins.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2006, 11:46 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: motox26
The dangerous thing about quads is that people "feel" safe on them because they are easier to ride for a newbie. Then they go fast thinking they're safe, but in reality, they are not really in control and can get hurt very easily. People are intimidated by dirtbikes, and ride them more cautious, which is why they are really safer IMO. Every machine can be safe, it is the riders that are dangerous.

I would still stick with your plan to get quads for the family and you can still be safe. Just make sure to keep your family in check, meaning that they don't ride over their limits and get that false feeling of being safe, make sure they respect the machine and always where a helmet. I know from experience, you never know when a mishap might happen, so protect their noggins.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I agree with this guy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

It's like anything mechanical......respect it for what it can and cannot do.
Be it a car, truck, motorcycle or atv......they can and will hurt you when you least expect it.

Both bikes and atvs have their advantages and disadvantages.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

I would suggest maybe a hybrid approach. Like if you have younger kids, start them on bikes. They will pick up good fundamentals faster. What they can ride will be decided by you, instead of some archiac nonsensical laws that say that a kid under age X must be on a machine of X CCs.

For older kids and you and your wife, I would suggest checking out both and seeing what you feel more comfortable with.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:31 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a dirt bike, a beginner is going to have a whole bunch of little get-offs, that you aren't going to have on a quad (unless you make a big mistake). But, a big wreck on a quad (like a rollover), is going to be way worse than on a dirt bike.

I really think that if the rider understands the machine, a quad is actually safer.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agreee with reconranger. My feelings are that with a bike it is more when you crash rather than if you crash, even when riding within your abilities. The flipside is that you aren't going to get hurt as often or as much "per crash" riding a bike, but accidents tend to happen less often and are more serious on a quad. Either way you and your family should be able to enjoy whatever you choose safely, education and responsibility are the keys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Now the guy at the dealership is telling me that dirtbikes are safer for my family than quads?