Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

please help me and my situation...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help me and my situation...

Alright guys its quad time(at least I'm hoping it is) I've been doing some looking around and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. Maybe someone can help... I'm 19, 5'11", and 170 pounds. My experience in riding has been mostly with dirtbikes(own a XR250) and driving my neighbors quads around( a 350 and 500, both utility quads) We live around thousands and thousands of acres of forest so riding has used up a lot of my free time. I want to get a sport quad and of course heres the main catch, MONEY! I'm going to college in the fall and have been working my @$$ off saving up cash for it. I decided I want to treat myself with a small portion of it and buy a sport quad. I will only have $1,500 dollars to spend on it, tops! The next catch is I don't really want a 2 stroke and the maintenance they have with them, plus I'd have no money for awhile once the top end went. The last catch is I want something fast enough that I'm not going get bored with it for a loong time, I push it when I ride, all the time. Are there any quads out there for me?! Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

IMHO you arn't going to make it.
Not with only $1500 to spend. Hell, I had to pay a grand for my daughters Breeze. With that said, you only hope is to find that lucky buy that someone gave up on. The quad that quit running and someone just gave up on. Those deals are out there but only pop up once in a blue moon.
You may luck out and snag something but you have to be lucky to do it.
Good luck.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like what you want is a Z400 or 400EX type ride. You may have better luck finding a Honda with your budget, since they have been out longer. $1,500 means an older model or one that beat up or both, but with a little luck you should be able to find one.

Jaybee

Old 07-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you are looking for is going to be tough to find. The quad that best fits that price range and performance is going to be an old school LT250R, but they are 2 strokes, ruling that out. After that, I would look for either a 300EX or a Warrior. The Warrior is faster, the 300EX handles better, both are reliable when properly maintained. You MIGHT be able to find an early 400EX, but in that price range it would probably be pretty ratty. On tight trails, any of those will feel pretty fast, and 15 years ago they were the cream of the 4 stroke sport crop. They all suffer a bit in comparison to the newer high performance stuff out. If I was in your situation, I would look for a nice 300EX, hopefully with at least an aftermarket exhaust and intake, and have a blast with it. Taken care of, it should last you until you are out of college, get a job, and can afford something bigger[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the replies. I understand that its gonna be pretty difficult finding something I'm interested in with the restrictions I have. I'll take a look around for the two you mentioned jaybee. Anyone else have any suggestions? If I really won't have much in the way of cash flow(college) would a little blaster or small 2 stroke be a bad idea seeing as they take more to keep up and maintain? Thanks.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey scoot thanks for the ideas man. I'm def. going to be looking around for all suggestions given to me, I come home from work this coming friday and I'll be ready to purchase something IF I can find anything. I think from your responses the way to go will be a much older bike. I'm comfortable with this, the first dirtbike I ever bought was a few years ago and it was a 79 honda, still runds great today. Any other ideas out there?

Old 07-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can make a Blaster work, and with the right upgrades they are crazy fast. I would still go for the 300EX though, just playing the law of averages, the chance of having a major repair bill are smaller with this model. Plus there are some nice ones out there in your price range. A couple of summers ago I happened to drive by a Warrior for sale. I was looking for a ride at the time, so I looked at it. The owner had taken good care of it, it was exceptionally clean, he had no time to ride it and it had sat for a few years only seeing minimal ride time. They are out there.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey what would you guys think of this... I have a buddy who works at the local honda shop and they're really cool about letting him bring bikes in and working on them in his spare time. I could use some of my extra money and get this thing fixed up. Any estimates on how much it would cost to get fixed up? Thanks.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mcy/175250305.html