Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Dealer freight and prep

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer freight and prep

Originally posted by: Catterman
exactly, tell them you will do your own "prep" and see if they will sell it to you still in the crate. I got my H1 that way.
That dealer won't be a dealer much longer. Manufacturers frown on this practice and require that the dealer physically check the contents of the crate for transit damage and to make sure there are no "dead on arrivals". The manufacturers will not honor warranty claims if the unit was not "prepped". All sounds ridiculous but generally true.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Catterman
exactly, tell them you will do your own "prep" and see if they will sell it to you still in the crate. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I got my H1 that way.

There is a dealer(ONTARIO CANADA) in my area that had a 2004 A/C 400 auto 4x4 STILL in the crate........(back at the end of June 2006 when I was shopping).....He has the side tarp cut to show me.......I asked why is it still in the crate for so long, HE told me the insurance is low that way and once he takes it out of the crate his needs to pay more.....BTW.......on his side now ,he is a marine dealer first A/C second...............Did anybody hear about this also????? ....................caper...............I still got my 2006 450 cheaper than his 2004 400 A/C 4x4............And his was two years old ,but still new....

Old 09-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

I've generally paid MSRP OTD but put a lot of effort into finding a good deal. I just traveled from No. Calif. to So. Calif. for an Oultlander 800, I paid 8399 OTD, even with gas and a hotel room I saved nearly $1,000 over what I was getting quoted up here.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

what is the typical invoice on quads. i mean i used to sell cars , and a toyotta corolla had say a 1k between msrp and invoice, and a tundra had 3k between. also if u did sell at invoice there was anywhere from 200-300 in holdback. so if a quad costs 3500 msrp. whats the typical invoice?

Old 09-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am in the market for a new atv and I would aso be interested in finding out about dealer invoice on atvs.

Is that information available anywhere online? I always try and be well informed on what a new vehicle costs when I buy one.It would be nice to know ahead of time the cealer cost on a quad so maybe you could get some floor mats thrown in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Bill/WI

Old 12-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

What i have learned personal experience, and from friends that work or have worked at dealers. All ATV's are set up and tested at the factory to ensure that they are properly assembled for fit and finish, and safe from the factory. Before they are shipped to the dealers. Ok there might be some un-packing time and adjusting this and thathour or billable labor, but not to justify 5 hours of labor, pull it out of a crate. The freight charge is included in the price of the invoice when the dealer takes it from the manufacturer atleast when i bought my Road Star. If you want to negotiate price, you can get the invoice price off of invoice.com, for a 10$ fee. If the dealer tells a line of BS, tell them you want to observe them removing the ATV from the crate. Well worth it. When i bought my Yamaha Road Star, i didn't pay freight and set up, and got them to drop 800$ off the suggested retail. Good luck, i hope this helps anyone that can save a buck or a 1000$ when buying there next ATV.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ditto what the rest of the posts have said. I couldn't find anybody who would deal on the add on fees in the metro area where I live. Drove about two hours and saved over $1k. It was out of state so they didn't even charge me sales tax.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

The only number you need to worry about is the out the door price. The freight and set up game is just that, a game for advertising, they low ball you then add it all back in. shipping on the largest of ATVs DOES cost $200 to $300, it does cost to pay a tech to assemble and prep them... and some do not just need a battery and gas (like Can-AM) they have complicated EFI and security systems that need to be set up and tested before you roll your $10,000 ATV out the door. But if you center on the out the door number... and compare that number..you will see that all dealers are all within a few hundred most times.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

The reason the big city dealerships are difficult to bargin with is because they know there are plenty of uninformed buyers who will pay MSRP and more. MSRP is just a made up price, NEVER pay MSRP! When you go into the dealer take control, offer 20% below MSRP. You want to start the negotiations in your favor. Since so called dealer invoices became avaliable on the web they're less meaningful since the factory uses holdbacks. Ignore freight and prep charges. If we all bargined hard the prices would start coming down. It happened with autos.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Never ever pay any dealer prep or setup fee. Reapeat after me. All the things I have ever bought, I have never paid those stupid fees.

If your dealer will not take no for an anwer make them take the amount off the bottom line price for the bike to offset it for you. That way they can feel good it is still listed on the invoice.

Most all of them are crooks. Make it perfectly clear up front what you expect. Don't let them wasted your time.

Quick Reply: Dealer freight and prep