Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best ATV to plow with?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV to plow with?

That is what he was looking for. In the winter the plow stays on mine. Have never used chains although last year once could have used them when got a heavy snow after a rain/melt/freeze cycle. Nothing short of chains or tire screws will help then but in 9 years that is the only time.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

If I were just looking for a machine to plow with, I'd get a 4x4 tractor.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

I see you're a little sore that nobody suggested an Eiger. Lol. Sorry, but Polaris has it hands down in the plowing dept. save the eiger for open fields where it belongs. Oh yeah, "lowest gearing"??????? Have you ever seen snow? I often plow in high range up and down my dirt road with a 60" blade (which is what I'd suggest to upnort but, I'm done with tractor boy brad yet) lol. Not to mention if you had to go the sandbag route you could do the same on a polaris. You add 100#......I add 100# you'll ALWAYS be behind in the plowing dept., not to mention the great comment about the shift pattern on the polaris is great for plowing......shove it ahead and pull it back, no mazes or additional buttons to push. Anyway upnort, you're on the right track just don't get anything less than 60". You'll regret it.

"lowest gearing".........LOL LOL LOL

Old 09-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Polaris or Arctic Cat hands down. I like the Arctic Cat more because the shift lever is on the left side of the ATV. My right hand doesn't have to leave the throttle. A 60" blade is a must. I had one on my 400 up in Alaska and we got a good 10 feet of snow a year and that 400 never had an issue. The more snow the more fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Ground clearance is another issue. Can't remember what Polaris has but Arctic Cat has 12" which sure helps when you need to back up over unplowed area's. I had a Swisher plow on one of my ATV's in the past and HATED it because it reduced my ground clearance to 6". I got stuck A LOT. Glacier plow system works great for Polaris, if you go with an Arctic Cat their stock setup is great too. As for chains, you don't need them but they do help A LOT on ice. Good luck to you.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: zorro700

I see you're a little sore that nobody suggested an Eiger. Lol. Sorry, but Polaris has it hands down in the plowing dept. save the eiger for open fields where it belongs. Oh yeah, "lowest gearing"??????? Have you ever seen snow? I often plow in high range up and down my dirt road with a 60" blade (which is what I'd suggest to upnort but, I'm done with tractor boy brad yet) lol. Not to mention if you had to go the sandbag route you could do the same on a polaris. You add 100#......I add 100# you'll ALWAYS be behind in the plowing dept., not to mention the great comment about the shift pattern on the polaris is great for plowing......shove it ahead and pull it back, no mazes or additional buttons to push. Anyway upnort, you're on the right track just don't get anything less than 60". You'll regret it.

"lowest gearing".........LOL LOL LOL</end quote></div>

I don't care what machine he gets, it won't affect me, but he was asking for suggestions and opinions. And my opinion is that if he's buying a machine solely for plowing, an ATV is a poor investment compared to a 4x4 tractor or even a truck. If he wants an ATV that can plow in addition to trail ride, then going with the heaviest one isn't a great idea either. And yes, I've seen plenty of snow and what will move snow is torque and traction (i.e. power/gearing and weight).

Old 10-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

That's your suggestion if he wants one to "soley plow with" huh. "I am going to buy an atv for play and to clear snow" Maybe that's your thing but I don't have much fun "playing" with my buddies on their atv's when I have a 4X4 tractor. Oh and by the way..............An 800# 500 will move more snow than a 500# 800, period. "Torque" is not an issue for atv's and plowing.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

I once read somewhere that "arguing with someone on the internet is like running in the special Olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded." So, I'm done with this conversation since you've changed it from a discussion to a childish argument.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

You obviously have a problem with polaris. Then proceeded to not give an opinion on the question asked. THEN the advise you gave is incorrect. I corrected you so,........you're welcome.