Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Do you bother with ATV insurance coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you bother with ATV insurance coverage?

I recently bought a 200 and 150 ATV for myself and my son and discovered that ATV riding is not covered under my existing policies so I made a few inquiries. The prices for ATV policies are way out of line and overpriced, even just the liability piece. My long time insurance agent thought based on the limited riding we do to just not bother with it; just ride safely and don't do anything stupid. In fact, his quote for ATV coverage is more than my two cars! Another quote was much cheaper: about $200 per year for both.

How many of you have specific ATV policies, are covered under existing policies like homeowners, auto, motorcycle, umbrella, etc., or just do without?

thx

Old 09-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My homeowners policy does not cover an atv in any way. Atv insurance is a must on these expensive toys from a loss standpoint and from a legal standpoint it's crazy not to insure your ride. $200 per year does'nt sound bad for both atv's.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have full coverage for my 2006 650V2, with 2,000 dollars coverage for my extra accessories (bumpers, gun scabbard, gps, ect...). That includes collision, theft, everything. I pay 140 a year. I paid one payment, and have the piece of mind knowing my machine and everything on it will get replaced. Go to this site

www.markelinsuresfun.com

Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

I'd have theft if I could afford it, but money is tight right now.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:13 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

We have no choice ,even the Game Wardens which you can run into anywhere in the bush can charge us $500 for having no insurance in Ontario,Canada.

On the larger logging roads which you need many times to access the bush trails your chances of running into the cops as well as the Game Wardens increase greatly especially now during hunting season.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allstate: Around $35 for liability, and $100-125 for comprehensive, including uninsured motorist (how many other riders do you think actually have liability???).

I insure them all for liability, no matter how old they are. When they get old enough that they are only worth a couple thousand or less, I take them off comp.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Well - I see the "responsible" ones replying. :-)

>>ATVlinE ATV / Motorcycle Insurance
>> Markel American Insurance Company
>> Rated 'A' by A.M. Best

I spoke with Markel today and they said they don't insure riders under 16. This is the story I got from two insurance groups so far. So, how is a person supposed to get a kid insured for ATV use?

@reconranger - Funny - one of the folks I called today is my ALLSTATE insurance agent who gave me a quote of nearly $400 per year for two ATVs, liability only. All my insurance is with him and he said he would have to write a separate ATV policy and it would not be a rider on anything else. He is clueless about insuring this kind of thing as he had no idea what an ATV was and had to call someone else to get more info. If you don't mind could you PM me with the contact of your Allstate guy? Maybe I can get more details and ask for the "right" kind of insurance.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$16,500 Canadian dollars tied up here(both quads) ...........Insurance is the LAW here!!.........
If it wasn't.........It still alot of money not to have protection on!!!...........Caper........

Old 09-27-2007, 03:09 AM
Range Rover

your homeowners policy should cover if its stolen or destroyed at home cause of fire or something. just make sure ins companys aware of it. If u ride hard or in dangerous places I'd get full coverage.its nice if unexpected happens.I got full on mine and it's helped even when it's dumb and my fault,normally is!
I can drive mine on street here with insurance its handy

Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Range Rover

I had wo stolen out of my locked garage in 2005. Most homeowner policies will not cover gas powerd vehicles not used solely on the property.

When mine were stolen the insurance company asked how I used them. I told them I used one to plow the driveway and yard work, the other I used for hunting. They covered the one I plow with, read me the "disclaimer" for the other.

At a minimum you should get liability and fire/theft coverage. I pay $100/year total for both machines w/that coverage.

Quick Reply: Do you bother with ATV insurance coverage?