Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Utility vs Sport Quad

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utility vs Sport Quad

Hi everyone. I'm planning on getting two quads, one me and one my Dad who is in his late 50's. We live near Carolina Adventure World the 2600 acre playground for atv's and dirt bikes. Most of our riding will be trail type riding through the woods and stuff. No hunting, no hardcore mud bogging. We rode some Honda Rancher 420's the other weekend with the electronic shifting and they were nice. They don't have to be the same quad because I will probably do a little more jumping and stuff than he will. I like the security of the utility because I didn't have to worry about shifting or my foot slipping off the peg. I do want to be able to some medium to low range jumping and ripping it up though. Can someone please help with some advice on the best quad for me and the best one for my dad based on the details I've provided. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was in the same boat last month. I ended up buying a Foreman ES (500) and a Rancher AT (400)... very happy I went with utility quads... especially after playing with them in the sand dunes last weekend.

I was surprised that the 400 with the auto tranny kept up very well with the 500... and the 400 was a little more fun to jump since it weighs less.

Scott

Old 09-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it sounds like your Dad would be fine with a medium sized Ute like the Rancher 420.... Although most people say stay away from the electronic shifting version.

For you, if you are going to jump and ride fast a sport machine in the way to go..... if you have a fear of your foot slipping off, they made nerf-bars for every ATV and that will cure that fear. If you are afraid of having to shift they have some CVT sport machines on the market too that will do some light jumping.....

Personally I have both sport and Ute, and I ride the sport 99.9% of the time.... I use my Ute for work and trail maintenance, or if I want to blaze a new trail that I might later use on my sport machine ..... It really all depends on your riding style and how much you want to go fast and jump and play ride .......

Old 09-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

My rule is to never ride a utility anywhere I can ride a sport quad. Utes are big and heavy at ~600 pounds and up, where the standard for sport quads in now 350 pounds. That's 250+ extra pounds you have to drag around, and believe me you will know it when you roll that big box and it is laying on top of you!!! Sport quads also have a lower center of gravity, and they are way more stable. But...sometimes you do need 4wd and high ground clearance, so you may have to make the compromise...

You don't seem to be real sure about your riding conditions. Take a good look, and decide if you need 4wd or not. If not, you are way ahead on something like a Honda 400EX or Suzuki Z400, which are good beginner's quads for an adult. Sure, it has a clutch and a manual transmission, but I can teach a little kid to shift like a pro in a couple of hours, so for God's sake don't be afraid having to shift.

As for your dad, he's only 50 so he's not over the hill by any means. Put him on a 400 too, or if he wants something more mellow, maby a Honda 300EX, Yamaha Raptor 250, or a Honda 250EX.

If you must go utility, I highly recommend the Honda Rancher 420! It's the only ute I care to ever ride.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

There is also the Yamaha Wolverine. It attempts to be a hybrid somewhere between a sport quad and a utility. I love the concept, but they left to much ute in this machine for my taste. It has a foo foo automatic transmission which isn't truely sporty, but it does have 4wd when you need it if that is a deciding factor.

I do wish more manufacturers would pick up the hybrid concept...but no...

Old 10-04-2007, 08:21 PM

In my opinion there really is no correct answer for this topic. I too enjoy the speed, capability of jumping, and other features of the sport quad. But I think when it all boils down to it, each person has different uses for their quad. And for the type of riding/use that I do, I wouldn't go without a utility quad. Not only can they dig in the mud and climb good enough to make it fun, but can also be used around the yard doing odds and ends with the optional towing ball, winches, and utility racks. you can hunt and haul stuff anytime you need where a sport you wouldn't have that option. I think for the money, you would get more use long term with the utility quad. But like I said, each person uses them differently and has different needs for them. We have two 2006 Honda Rubicon 500s and we love them!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:54 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

About the speed thing , I think the 800 outlander Utility ATV can beat most sport quads in a drag race.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

have you thought about a Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4? I think it really depends on where you ride of course but for me I thinking about one because me sportsman feels too big

Old 10-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My AC has been very reliable, and is ridden by everyone from my teenage nephews to my 70 year old father. It has been used for everything for towing, mudding, hunting, and long trips (300+ miles). After nearly 4,000 miles the only thing I have ever done to it besides regular maintenance is a very minor shifter adjustment that I did myself when new.

QUOTE FOR THE DAY:
I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most efficient way to enslave them.
Samuel Adams

Old 10-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

About the speed thing , I think the 800 outlander Utility ATV can beat most sport quads in a drag race.</end quote></div>

And then came the Thundercat ..........................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Utility vs Sport Quad