Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need Advice

Old 10-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice

First off I wanted to say this is the best site I've found. I've been looking for a fourwheeler for the past few weeks and I have it narrowed down to a few models that I would like your opinions on. I use to race MX years ago and Honda's were always bulletproof, I realize times have changed. I went to the dealer and looked at the hondas and they just dont look rugged as some of the other machines. I have heard good and bad about the Polaris as well. Ok so here's my three choices:

2007 Polaris Sportsman Stealth 800EFI
2007 Honda Rubicon or Rincon 680
2007 Can-Am Outlander 800

Now the other decision is which one to get my father and my girlfriend which I'm leaing towards the same brands but in the 500 size.

I really like the beefiness of the polaris, i like the honda but its so low to the ground and I believe the Rincon is a 3speed. The outlanders seem to have the best power but the frame looks real cheap and i'm concerned about longevity with that.

I'm purchasing two machines MOnday morning from a dealer where a buddy works so any and all help is greatly appreciated. We plan to use the machines for trail riding all over, hunting, and on our land as needed.

Can you please provide advice and your opinions on both the 800 models and 500 models? Thanks.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need Advice

One other thing is I've heard the Honda is gear driven so it will not die in the water like some of the others? Is this true, hear some folks telling me that when the Polaris belt gets wet your done. Dont know how true or not...

Old 10-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need Advice

Ok, I've narrowed it down to the polaris and the honda. Then I read another post on hear which says the 2008 Polaris are HO? I'm assuming that means High Output? Is there any difference between an 07 Polaris Stealth 800 and the 08 Polaris 800?

I keep going back and forth on the Honda. Some people say the Rincon is not as good as the Rubicon or foreman. I'm also purchasing a 500 class machine for my dad. We are going to do lots of trailriding and travel to other states as well.

I know the Honda's are reliable but what about the Polaris? Which would you get and why? I'm pulling the trigger Monday morning on these and in the meantime I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure this stuff out.

Polaris pros to me (inexperienced): Rugged, beefy, powerful, seem to be well built.
Polaris cons to me:heard once the belt gets wet your done, concerned about reliability.

Honda Pros: Reliability
Honda Cons: low ground clearance, heard poor reviews on Rincon, Rubicon only 500, doesnt seem to be exciting, almost seems like the same technology from 1988.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Advice

You don't say anything about your riding conditions. Different machines do better in different conditions, so some specifics would be helpful....

I'll just say that I ride with Can-Am's and Polaris machines, and there isn't any one of them I would care to own, much less ever ride....huge, heavy, tall, and tippy is what comes to my mind when I think of these!

As for the Rincon, it has a 3-speed torque converter automatic transmission. Even Honda calls it the SUV of quads. It is really meant to be a comfortable cruiser, and isn't really a hard core machine IMO. It has no engine braking below 8 mph, so decide if that is something you could live with.

Of your list, the Rubicon is the only one I would ever consider. It has a hydrostatic transmission, not anything like the Rincon and nothing like the belt drives. It is SRA so it is stable, but not as comfy as an IRS. It has a reputation as a solid, reliable machine.

I'm a manual transmission guy, so I would have a Foreman 500 before any of these. Also, take a look at the Rancher 420!!! Why are you stuck on a 500+ machine??? It is fuel injected and water cooled, fast and will ride circles around these other machines!

Old 10-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need Advice

polaris is heavy but the only one with true 4wd the other brands are only 3wd. i find honda's are behind on technology it's the same quad as in the 90's. they have kept up to date on their sport quads. with the polaris if the belt gets wet you wont move until you get the water out and the belt dries. only happened to me once was washing it got water through a bad seal.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need Advice

This is EXACTLY what i need to hear. Thank you. Most of the riding is going to be on trails up in New England which are woods, rocky, and sand. Will go through occassional mud but not one to sink the machine and go mudholing.

The one thing that really is concerning me about the polaris is the belt getting wet... Is there any preventitive maintenance you can do? Do all the other non honda machines suffer from belt issue also?

Why the foreman over the Rubicon, manual transmission? If I recall the foreman is air cooled will it hold up as good as the liquid?

What about the extended warranty on both the honda and polaris? Sorry about all the questions but when your getting ready to fork over thousands I just want to have as much knowledge as possible before the purchase.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need Advice

if your not going to get deep you don't have to do anything to keep the belt dry. if it starts geeting wet it's usually the cover seal gone bad.easy to fix. air cooled is less trouble than liquid cooled but with liquid you know when it getting hot. polaris is the best riding quad out there.some says it's the caddy of the quad world.don't know much about honda's ute class.they make some nice sport quads though.and the warranty i see it like this if you buy it you wont need it if you dont get it you will need it

Old 10-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Red Rider
Default Need Advice

I'm just a manual tranny guy! (I'll take this opportunity to insult the manhood of automatic owner's and say that autos are for little girls and adults who don't have the skill to shift a manual!)

Doesn't sound like you are doing any extreme riding, or you need a mud or work quad, so got to ask why in the world do you want to go so big??? I'm sure the little lady will appreciate a smaller machine, but why do you want to be saddled on a 700+ pound tippy, top heavy, Polaris monster???

I have a Honda Rancher 420. This is the world's most popular machine, and for good reason. First, you get more for your $$$ than with any other machine out there, and it is the prefect size for trail riders....big enough to do the job, but still small, light, and agile enought to be tons of fun!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need Advice

i've got a auto polaris 2wd that will go anywhere you little rancher will go. as far a manual tranny guy i've drove everything betwwen a 73'chevy 3 speed on the tree to 18 speed volvo. so you can't insult me about not wanting to shift. i'll i can say is little boys like little toys

Old 10-14-2007, 02:35 AM
Red Rider
Default Need Advice

How nice for you!

The only true 4wd????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Advice