Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking for (relatively) trouble free

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for (relatively) trouble free

I have been lurking here for two weeks, and have read most everyones responses to the Chinese Quad delema. I sat down last week and found that there are about 45,000 names associated with the Chinese Quads, so I started writing down the common names I seem to see. Dont get me wrong, I would by a Honda or other Jap bike, but it is too cost prohibitive for me to get my 9 and 11 year old outfitted. And yes, I would buy a good used Jap bike, if I could find one that hasn't been so beaten or tweaked that I couldn't trust them either. The other factor is that my location is not condusive to "Just popping in" to the local dealer for parts (2 hr drive to pretty much anything).
SO... The common names I seem to see are...
1.) Jetmoto
2.) Yamoto
3.) Kazuma
4.) Hi Bird (? wonder if they meant to spell "Hibrid", but got lost in translation...

I am painfully aware of everyone's comments to "you get what you pay for", but then again I am not willing to pay big bucks for a ( insert favorite japanese bike name here) that my son will ride for two seasons, and then sit in the corner of the shed being used as a coat rack. If he enjoys it, then I'll consider a name brand down the road- but it's just too damn expensive to jump in not knowing...

So, what are the lesser of the above evils? And if there is a favorite, is there a parts network that can be accessed?

Hopefully, this group will be kind with your responses, but I've got my flame retardant suit ready to go....

Old 10-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt there are any! All my friends who have bought them have lived to regret it, and that represents a variety of brands. Learn from their mistakes....or repeat them and live to regret it too!

If you are on a budget, get a used machine made by one of the big 4 manufacturers. Even if you had to rebuild it, you will still be way ahead.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

Man, shop around and find a deal for real. I bought an 06' Wolverine from a place that took it in on trade yesterday (car lot). The dude did not know what year it was or anything. I got it for less than half what a 07' is running.

If you want a two stroke with a better reputation, get a Polaris 250 or 400 Trailblazer. I know that there has been some QC issues in the past, but look around. A 250 can be had for around $2K give or take. I even saw a 400EX (I think, it was a 400, and it was red... sport bike) for $2100.

To answer your question, it is meant to be Hi Bird. If you are dead set on buying a Chicom Quad, buy one from some that has a showroom, and a guy in the back spinning wrenches. I know a guy that bough two for his kids last year, they wound up sharing one because it took him robbing from Peter to pay Paul so to speak.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, thanks to everyone that provided insight to my question.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

People don,t give up on these Chinese ATVs because of there price. Do some parts of the country not sell used brand name ATVs? I would trust a 10 year old namebrand that flipped down a moutain before a New Chiness quad.