Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Raptor660 or LTZ400 or YFZ450 or Predator500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor660 or LTZ400 or YFZ450 or Predator500?

Need help deciding which ATV to get:

2001-02 Raptor 660
2006 Suzuki LTZ400
2004 Yahama YFZ450
2006 Polaris Predator 500

Mainly general trail riding, but want power and speed.
I will not be modifying or racing this quad, just wanting to have something fun with the least amount of headaches/problems (best maintenance track record).

Ideas/thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avoid the Raptor 660, it is a bad design! They made it narrow and it carries its weight high up in the frame, which makes it rather tipsy. Don't really know what Yamaha was thinking???

I would pick the Z if you are mostly a trail rider, and a YFZ if you ride fast open roads and play riding.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Range Rover

I don't know if this matters to you, but the I would narrow it down to the Z and the YFZ for reliability and what you are looking for. The Z has reverse, but is a little cramped for the 6'0" club. Mine recieved an aftermarket set of High bars and peg that were back and lower by an inch.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I was surprised to learn that the new Z with fuel injection is a portly 425 pounds (not sure about the older ones). That's a hefty 45 pounds heavier than the average 450, and a even a couple pounds heavier than the Raptor 700.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally Posted by reconranger
I was surprised to learn that the new Z with fuel injection is a portly 425 pounds (not sure about the older ones). That's a hefty 45 pounds heavier than the average 450, and a even a couple pounds heavier than the Raptor 700.
Difference is that Suzuki is now reporting the real weight, full of fluids......not all the others have caught up yet.... The LT-R450 is 414 pounds ready to ride...... The KFX450 is 411 ready to ride...... The DS450 that is listed at like 359 or something, is actually 389 ready to ride.....until all the factories start reporting the actual weight, the only way is to put them on a scale.

I've seen a bunch of the new machines on a drop scale that one of the local race shops.....they weigh all kinds of racing machines from ATVs to sprint cars up to 2,000 pounds. The new 850xp was like 808 on the scale. It took one KFX450 and one LTR450 to equal the weight of the XP........there was a guy there weighing his 400ex race machine and it was 404 with a full tank.......

To get to 350 pounds, you have to go to the top of the pros of ATVA motocross.....most of us are riding things closer to 400 big ones.......

Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Range Rover

01 and 02 raptors had bad trannys i owned one if you wanna be the fastest possible with out any work get the yfz i know you think the z will probably be enough which it will be until a 450 beats you someday then your gunna wish you had one i would go big or go home kinda attitude

Old 06-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

I've had an 02 raptor 660. Steer clear! Like reconranger said, they are top heavy and have known issues.
I have also had an 03 z400. Great trail bike, good power, reverse. The YFZ450 is a strong runner, too. Faster than the z400. I've never ridden them side by side so I couldn't tell you if one was better than the other. I don't think you would go wrong with either one so price would now be the factor.
I like my predator, but you said you didn't want to make any mods to it. I think the predator sucks in stock form and must be modified to wake it up. It is a great trail bike and dune bike. The only problem I had with my 05 predator was that someone else liked it more than me and stole it! LOL! One thing to consider is what maintenance is required for the z400 and the yfz450. Like, do they require frequent valve adjustments, etc. That would be an added expense you may not want to deal with. Like you said you just want to ride it. You do have to realize that you are looking at used rides and who knows what maintenance has been done to them or how they have been ridden. You could buy the yfz450, which has a great track record, but the one you buy might be a pos because the seller never changed the oil or something. Just some things to consider....

Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally Posted by Soulphire
Need help deciding which ATV to get:

2001-02 Raptor 660
2006 Suzuki LTZ400
2004 Yahama YFZ450
2006 Polaris Predator 500

Mainly general trail riding, but want power and speed.
I will not be modifying or racing this quad, just wanting to have something fun with the least amount of headaches/problems (best maintenance track record).

Ideas/thoughts?

Thanks!
As other have said stay away from the 660 Raptor......they do not handle well at all and unless you plan on spending several thousand on A-arms and suspension you cannot improve it.....

The Predator is fast, handles pretty good, but is kind of large. If you are a taller/bigger guy it might not be a bad choice. Although I do know people with them, and they seem to have some reliability issues. Not really major things all at once, but a lot of little things adding up.....But the two guys I happen to know who own them, do not mind wrenching on them, and the fact that they fix them every time and ride on says something..... If the ride was not good they would not keep fixing them....

The YFZ450 in 2004 was a nice machine......they were still new on the scene but they came out already in top form. They are fast, handle excellent, seem to be pretty reliable, and of course have in infinite amount of aftermarket goodies to keep spending money for the rest of your life if you so choose to...... of course, the no reverse issue, and the many oil changes you will be doing (on any 450) are something to think about for some people.

The z400, by 2006 was what many people still call the best "all-around" sport machine ever made. They are just about bulletproof reliable with typical ATV maintenance, they have excellent ergonomics, they handle very well......oh and an exhaust system wakes up that DOHC 400cc engine way beyond what a little 400cc engine should be able to do in stock form......

If I were choosing between the machine listed...I'd pick the '06 z400......it offers the best of both worlds......and with bolt on mods will be just about as fast as anything on that list.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the useful info.

Given all the facts ... looks like the Z400 is the best choice. I used to have a Honda 250x many years ago, but I don't think the 400EX will be enough power for me from what I read.

I need reverse as my kids will also ride this machine.
I don't want to risk my kids getting injured due to a top heavy ATV.
And it sounds like the Predator is heavy and has maintenance issues.

Thanks a ton! Now to find one in Colorado!

Old 06-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Soulphire
Thanks for all the useful info.

Given all the facts ... looks like the Z400 is the best choice.

And it sounds like the Predator is heavy and has maintenance issues.
Good choice! But I will argue the reliability of the predator. I have had two now and NEVER had a problem with them. I know others who have them and same thing, no problems whatsoever! I guess it brings the question....what do you consider reliability problems? Is it a manufacturing problem, which I doubt, or is it a problem brought on by lack of maintenance or the rider? I can find people who have "problems" with any make of atv! Most of them are our own fault, not the mfr! Now the sportsmans, that's another story!

Quick Reply: Raptor660 or LTZ400 or YFZ450 or Predator500?