Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What quad is the best buy out of thease 3 for trail ridding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boss Man
They didn't... what were they thinking. Wouldn't want an ATV anymore without EFI.
Yep that is my biggest gripe to, tho the 450 is a great trail quad mainly for it size vs the 500 class quads and now that it has EPS you wont find a much better all around bullit proof ute than the 450.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

I ride the KQ 400. I am 6'3" and go 240 and I do not feel like it is too small. Would I like to upgrade to a big bore, sure, but like most, I have to work for my $. I can have just as much fun on my 400, which I picked up for just over 4 grand, as I can on a $8000 KQ750. I have ridden all the the trails at HM and have never felt short on power. I guess it is good to have too much than not enough, but I find myself needing more ground clearance more than more needing power.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Mud Slinger
I ride the KQ 400. I am 6'3" and go 240 and I do not feel like it is too small. Would I like to upgrade to a big bore, sure, but like most, I have to work for my $. I can have just as much fun on my 400, which I picked up for just over 4 grand, as I can on a $8000 KQ750. I have ridden all the the trails at HM and have never felt short on power. I guess it is good to have too much than not enough, but I find myself needing more ground clearance more than more needing power.
Is it hard to turn in 4x4? Do u wish u would have got a rancher 420?How does ur kq ride?thanks for helping me out.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Mud Slinger
Over the years, I've had 200, 300, 400 and 500 class machines... and yes, I've had to work to pay for all of them. The smaller machines are certainly a lot of fun, and usually more agile and nimble. However, as I've gotten older, I like the larger frame size... more that they are longer and wider, which usually translates to a nicer ride, and a more stable machine.

Being that the original poster was looking for his "dad" I thought that the bigger machine might suit him better. The added power is not necessarily, but nice to have nonetheless.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by CVT11
Is it hard to turn in 4x4? Do u wish u would have got a rancher 420?How does ur kq ride?thanks for helping me out.
As I stated in my original post, if the 4X4 is "locked", it will be difficult to steer... even with EPS.

I'm sure Mud Slinger will reply to the other two questions directed specifically to him.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:07 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

[quote]Last but not least he likes the Yamaha grizzly 350 4x4. He likes it because it is light, nimble and it has the shift on the fly 4x4[quote]

Don't all 4wd ATVs with selectable 2wd/4wd shift from one to another on the fly?

Dont,t worry to much about EFI or carb I rode them all, they both move once you give them gas I find.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

The KQ 400 doesn't have a locking front differential. I do not believe grizzly 350 has it either and am not sure about the rancher 420. You also can shift into 4x4 on the fly with the KQ as long as all 4 wheels are turning at the same speed. When I bought my King Quad it was after riding my 2004 Kodiak 400 (older version of Grizzly). It was a huge upgrade. It sits up much higher and is a much smoother ride than I was used to. It also was much more peppy. As far as turning in 4x4, it isn't any more difficult to turn as far as effort goes. It just wont turn as sharp. I am almost never in 4x4 unless I am getting ready to go swimming in a major mud hole or climbing a serious hill that I think I will need all 4 wheels pulling. I know the people who have the power steering love it, but I have never had it and therefore don't miss it. I think you said the rancher was not an automatic. I would never trade an auto for something I had to think about shifting even if it had power steering. When you have to select gears and shift, you have to make sure you are in the right gears before hills, etc. With the auto, you put it in high and go. I guess to answer your question, I am completely happy with the KQ and do not/have not wished at any point that I would have bought the rancher or any other quad (at least in my price range!).

Boss Man - I completely understand what you are saying. My previous reference about power and money was more aimed at the person suggesting the Can Am 800 (possibly too much quad for a new rider) and the person suggesting spending an extra 50 a month for the next 5 years. I do think the KQ400 does have a bigger frame than some of the other mid size ATVs. This is just the feel I get riding and am not sure how it actually measures. I also haven't ridden anything in the 500+ class so do not know how they compare ride wise.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-13-2010, 08:57 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The KQ 400 doesn't have a locking front differential. I do not believe grizzly 350 has it either and am not sure about the rancher 420.
Honda is the only one that does not make a true AWD 4x4. There are aftertmarket diff lockers made for them though, there over $400 though. Ouch.

All ATVs in diff lock are very hard to turn, diff lock is only used for short runs through ugly low traction spots that 4wd is not enough and true AWD is needed,once through that nasty spot you switch out of diff lock and back to 4wd (3x4) or 2wd for easy steering.

I think Diff lock only engages if the ATV is in low range for safety reasons. You also cant switch to diff lock while on the fly,the ATV must come to a full stop first.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Trailblazer

After telling my dad that a 500cc class atv is a good trail bike he said that he likes the suzuki king quad 500 with ps.now he needs to find one under 7500$

Old 11-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by CVT11
After telling my dad that a 500cc class atv is a good trail bike he said that he likes the suzuki king quad 500 with ps.now he needs to find one under 7500$
The 500 is a great bike. He should be able to find one under $7500. Last year I paid $6700 OTD for mine.

Quick Reply: What quad is the best buy out of thease 3 for trail ridding?