Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Next three Qs: Color, hitches, and winches

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next three Qs: Color, hitches, and winches

Welp here's my next three questions to help get me into my first machine (looking to buy used btw)...

1) I'm hooked on the camo color scheme but don't want to let that stop me from getting into a good bike. Say you had something like a red or green 2010 Grizz 550 and wanted to turn it camo. How would you go about that? Buy all the plastic off ebay and sell what comes off yours to recoup some of the cost? Or is there some kind of plastic or material cover you could get? Also, about how much would each route end up costing?

2) I've seen the back end of some machines that look like they're just not set up to handle a hitch ball. Are there some machines that you can't put a ball on at all, or are there aftermarket conversion kits made for every machine out there?

3) Same question for winches. I've seen some Grizz front ends that, either because of the molding or frame, just don't look like they'd take a winch. Am I right, or will all bikes (or at lease all Grizzlys) be able to accept an aftermarket winch kit?

Thanks

Old 07-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) There are sticker kits and wraps that can be done to go camo. You may be able to get the parts plastidipped as well. Shipping is expensive on plastics, I am not sure you would recoup much selling the unwanted pieces unless you can find and deal locally.

2) Is there really a ute made in the last 20 years with out some way to attach a hitch? I have an aftermarket adaptor plate for my 300ex that would accept a ball hitch. It would warrant a model specific search if a hitch did not come oem.

3) Same as for the hitch. Many quads require an adaptor plate and possibly a little engineering on plastic/bumpers/etc. I would be surprised if you couldn'the find a way to get a hitch on a Grizz. Could always mount it up on the rack worst case scenario. Some reinforcement if you do that however.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Personally, I'd just pay the extra for the camo. if I wanted it badly enough. A green quad (other than Kawasaki green) blends into the woods pretty good if you can find one in the model you're looking for.

I'm sure there are kits available for both the winch and the hitch for a Grizzly. They're very popular.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:26 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

1- http://camoclad.com/products/atv-utv-kits/ Cut and stick.

2-My 350 Grizzly has a place to bolt on a ball , your 550 better. I never seen a Utility ATV that did not have a place to bolt on a ball. Here is a pic of them stock, you just buy a ball.

3- Yamaha would be out of business if there Utility was not made to take a winch. After better tires its the next thing most people buy.

Here is a 550 with a winch.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty much any utility quad can accept a winch, even the 2wd ones. They're the ones that need them most of all anyway. From a 2wd 250cc Honda Recon all the way up to the 1000cc 4x4s and everything in between.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:01 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Receiver hitches are nice so you can quickly change from a 1-7/8th ball to a 2" if you need to without wrenching.

Why some people put on class-III 2" hitches on a ATV is beyond me, they are just much heavier and you lose Ground clearance .
The more light weight and compact Class-1 and class-2 , 1-1/4" receiver are well beyond the tow capacity of what a ATV can tow.