Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What bike should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What bike should I buy?

Hey guys I'm thinking about upgrading my Kawasaki bayou 220 to a bigger bike this summer. I bought it for a good price and definitely got my use out of it. It never let me down but I want something a bit faster and 4x4. I was looking at the Kawasaki prairie 400s, 360s and 300s. They are about 1500-1800 for one in good shape. I also looked at Hondas but they are way to much for the year I want them in (2000 and up). Which bike should I buy? let me know what problems you have had with them and if I should buy something else. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2016, 12:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're looking to spend about 2 grand or so, a Yamaha Kodiak 400 would be a good choice. Here's a good example of one close to me for $2000 2004 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 There's probably one or more near you for a similar price. Might be able to find a Can-Am Outlander 400 for close to that price as well. It has a bit more power than the Kodiak 400. Here's one close to me in great shape for $2200, even has a winch 2004 Can Am outlander 400. The Outlander 400 gives you both high and low range while the Kodiak 400 doesn't have low range. If you could find one in similar shape near you for around that price, I think that would be the best bang for your buck.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

My friend had a Kodak 400 and it was **** nothing but problem after problem. I would buy a can am 400 but around my area there to much money and rode hard and put away wet lol. The prairie I was looking at has a winch plow and back seat registered and ready to go for 1800 with only 7k on it also it's a 2000. I want to buy a atv year 2000 and up. Do you have any other suggestions?

Old 02-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Maybe a Suzuki Eiger might be found around 2 grand. They did come in 2wd versions so something to look for in the listing, the Kodiak 400 was available as a 2wd too. A Honda Rancher 350 4x4 would work but it won't be much faster than your Bayou as they were full-time 4x4 and that really limited their top speed. Same as the older Yamaha Big Bear models. Also older Honda Foremans as well but you can find some of those for 2 grand or less. I think in about 2002 or so was when Honda first had selectible 4x4. Here's a 2003 450S at a local dealer around here. Something like this would work though it has a ton of miles and its an old ad so it probably already sold 2003 Honda Foreman S -- ITS A HONDA!!. Might be able to find an older Polaris Sportsman too.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

I can say nothing bad about my 2001 Arctic Cat 500. It has the Suzuki 500 motor (bulletproof) I have 6,700 miles, only had to replace brake discs and a tie rod end. It's not fast, only get 55 mph, but I'm running 30" Mudzillas, but it's a torque monster, great for snow plowing, pulling a trailer, riding 2 up, etc. Mine is the manual shift (10 speeds), but they also came as automatics. I got mine for barter, but I think $2,500 would be fair.

Attached Thumbnails What bike should I buy?-p1010585.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 12:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've seen some older Arctic Cat 4x4s for decent prices too. That Suzuki 500 engine was a great engine.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:37 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well friend, here is the problem as I see it. You get what you pay for. Ever wonder why certain brands are cheaper than others, given the same size and year etc? It is because one lasts better than the other. I won't make a recommendation on brands, but just look around. What are most of the people riding? A lot also comes down to what kind of service you can get from local dealers. What about parts availability etc. I would stay away from ANYTHING made in China, or Korea for that matter. The metals used are just plain poor quality, and you may have to purchase a boat load of parts to get one... not that you probably won't need that many parts over time, but you get the picture. As for hard riding versus pristine. That can be misleading too. A machine that looks like new, is 10+ years old is either hiding something, or not used because it was always broken down or in the shop. At the age point you are looking at, you have to expect a machine to have been ridden. I used to say that you had a totally different type of person riding a Ute versus a sport model, but that has changed. Now you have wild and craazy guys jumping a ute and totally abusing them. Also, don't worry about "TOP SPEED". The important thing to consider is buying something that will take you out on the trails, and bring you back safely, in one piece, without having to work on it constantly. I would recommend also that you look in the 500 range. That seems to be the more "Typical" of that era. Today, you will find 700 and up the new normal. And there is a lot to be said for having that power. I used to say 500CC's will do anything you need it to do. I have eaten my words, and they had a bitter taste. I am still tempted by those big 1000 motors, but I am in the process of purchasing a new 850 twin Can-AM XMR. And a 650 XMR for my wife. Not just because I can, but because the radiator mounted on the hood has lots of advantages in the bush, the power is WAY more than my old 96 Rubicon could ever muster, and it has power steering and IRS suspension in back. IE, it is a caddilac versus the Mack Truck my Honda is. Don't get me wrong, the Honda has been, and remains bullet proof, has never left me stranded, has never broke (Although I abuse it with heavy loads all the time, plow snow etc) I change the oil when I think about it, add gas when it needs it, and it just goes. I am not much of a polisher, or someone overly concerned with the muddy appearance or the nicks on the plastic either. It just runs. And that is pretty much what most owners of a Honda have experienced over the years. My wife has traditionally been a Grizzly fan. (450). It too has been bullet proof. Has IRS and is a dream to ride, for her. (A little small for me). But it doesn't have power steering, and for someone on the down side of 60, that is probably the number one reason I am stepping off my Honda and on to a new Can-Am. And why you say? Well BRP and me go way back, before taking a sponsored ride on a Honda decades ago, I used to ride Ski-doo snowmobiles (I bought my first one at 12 with my OWN money thank you very much) Also later rode a Can-Am flat tracker locally.. and let's face it, that XMR is bad *** looking. Can't spring for the 1000 since it is based on a longer chassis and I see that as a problem in and out of trees on the trails and because it is so damn long, I'd have trailer issues hauling it. So the 850 will do. Anyway, good luck in your choices.