Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Bought atv no title need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

In Ohio you have to transfer the title inside of 30 days or you pay a fine/penalty. If a dealer does not issue a tittle to a buyer within 30 days the buyer can return the vehicle and get a full refund. This info came from our state attorney generals office as I had an issue getting a title from a dealer myself. Do not know about the other states but I would definitely get good info from your state attorney generals office. In Ohio it is illegal to sell a motorized vehicle without a current title. Here we call it tittle skipping and the state looses their tax dollars and of course we don't want the state government to loose any tax money now do we??

Old 02-29-2016, 12:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
^^^^^ This is what I have always done ( open title ) but I have had a change of heart, and here's why. I purchased my son a new 2007 YFZ450, financed it. When I finally got it paid for, I put the title in his name...as a gift, and only cost him the title fee. The day came that he decided to sell it ( of course I gave him the money ...as dads do for their kids ). I sold it for my son, and he had signed the title and left it open and that's what I provided the new owner. I had recommended that he just leave the title open, and not have to pay the taxes and if he decided to sell it, simply pass the open title on. A few months later, in the state of GA, the ATV was stolen.
The new owner said that he did not get much cooperation ( could be heresay from new owner ) from the detectives because he did not have a title in his name therefore no real proof of ownership ( even tho we provided another bill of sale ). Anyway, long story short, about four months ago, I purchased a used ATV, with title, I went ahead a bit the dust and paid tax and fee's and had it titled in my name......just because of the possibilty of theft. Now, having said all this, it I were to purchase... say a super inexpensive ATV, and it had a title, I probably would not do the title name change....
I guess that does make spending the $75 or so it costs to change the title over not seem like much. Hadn't really thought about what might happen if it got stolen and I hadn't transferred the title to my name.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
In Ohio you have to transfer the title inside of 30 days or you pay a fine/penalty. If a dealer does not issue a tittle to a buyer within 30 days the buyer can return the vehicle and get a full refund. This info came from our state attorney generals office as I had an issue getting a title from a dealer myself. Do not know about the other states but I would definitely get good info from your state attorney generals office. In Ohio it is illegal to sell a motorized vehicle without a current title. Here we call it tittle skipping and the state looses their tax dollars and of course we don't want the state government to loose any tax money now do we??
Our state recently admitted to purposely stopping sending licence renewal notices to both save money and get motorists to pay late fees. They claim they saved $450,000 by not sending them and collected $2 million in late fees, of which I accounted for $25 of that last year. Our state is downright sneaky and lowdown, that's for sure.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

I see you are from Illinois, yes they are sneaky, very sneaky on lots of things besides ATV licenses. I have known some friends that literally moved from that state due to weird rules and regulations. I will use the word weird here as this is a family site LOL.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes our state has a hard time handling money. Cutting funding to state colleges is very sad. Being deceptive fining hard working people because of purposeful clerical errors borders on illegal, just to get extra money that the state should have already had. I saw a meme on Facebook recently that hit the nail on the head. It said how about we fully fund schools and make prisons raise money by collecting box tops and selling candy bars or something like that. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sell too many candy bars.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

I believe your state is the largest "entitlement" state in the union, it spends more money on free handouts than it takes in. If the populous wonders why the state has no money they need to look at the large number of handouts.
Then again you hard working people need to cough up a little more!

Old 03-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess this rant could simply go on endlessly. I think I'll stop it here, its bringing down this thread lol.