Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

400EX or Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400EX or Sportsman

Im kind of torn on what should get. Im mostly going to be using my wheeler for trail riding. By trail, I mean I like to go through mud, water, over trees and stuff. Would a 400EX do okay with that or should I look to a sportsman? My budget is around $2500

Old 02-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sport quads will get you through some mud and obstacles but they're more at home on hard packed fast trails. You can put mud tires on the rear but they're still 2 wheel drive and have very little ground clearance. The one advantage they have is much lighter weight compared to utility 4x4 quads so if they do get stuck, it takes less effort to get them out. You could get something that is a bit of both, like a Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4. You might be able to find one of those for around $2500. Its smaller and lighter than something like a Sportsman or Grizzly but has more ground clearance than sport quads and has selectible 4x4 and cvt auto. Its not going to be as fast as a 400ex, a stock Wolverine 450 tops out at around 50 mph but for trail riding it has good low and midrange power. I had one once myself and its a very capable quad and very manuverable in tight trails. Here's an example of a nice one in that price range 2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4

Old 02-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Greg74 gives some great advice...in my circumstances there would be no question about it...the utility machine with 4x4 everytime. The number of times you can just go fast vs. the times you will nedd power and 4x4 don't compare at all. Years back my boys had sport machines and I had the 4x4 utility machine, they always kidded me about being slow but on most trails I could beat them to point B, reason was they ended up stuck and I had to go pull them out. I always said, I may not be the fastest out there....but I always make it to the end! Can't always say that with a sport machine.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Polaris makes the Scrambler too. The older 500 4x4 models are quite affordable but they have chain drive just like sport quads and limited ground clearance as well. But a Scrambler 500 4x4 is almost as fast as a 400ex and you can find one in good shape for around $2000, maybe less. They still have a little more ground clearance than something like a 400ex but weigh a lot more, quite a bit more than the Wolverine 450 as well. The Wolverine 450 in my opinion is a better machine overall than the Scrambler but the Scrambler 500 does have it beat on power. The shaft drive in the Wolverine gets a big thumbs up for me over the chain drive in the Scrambler. A Scrambler 500 is yet another machine I owned and the chain loosening was something you had to deal with. A Can-Am Renegade 500 would be better than either of them but they're more expensive, most in the $5000 range or more for a nice used one.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

A lot of newcomers into the atv sport simply want a go fast bike but in reality how often can you just go fast? More than often you will get into rough terrain that makes the going tough and slow. Sport bikes do not do tough and slow very well, where as a good utility does tough and slow with ease and many can also do "go fast" like a sport bike, mabey not quite as fast but that utility will most always get there. I have a number of friends that started out in sport bikes but soon moved into utility quads, but I know of NO one that went from a utility quad into a sport bike.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A sport quad like a 400 EX and a utility like a Sportsman are like apples and oranges. There's really no comparison. 4x4 will get you through mud, over trees and rough terrain a lot better than 2WD and IRS will give you a cushy ride and more ground clearance. Sport quads are quicker and the guys I know who have them just want to go fast and avoid all the obstacles that can make the ride more fun and challenging.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:40 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Problem with all chain drive ATVs and your lucky to have 3" of ground clearance under the rear sprocket. That's a problem when you go over a 4" high rock on the trail.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'll stick with my recommendation of the Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4. It basically has about the same ground clearance as a Honda Foreman. The only limitation it has is its top speed. I think its because its geared a little lower than the Kodiak 450 which has the same engine but the Kodiak has both high and low range and the Wolverine only has high range. No diff-lock on the Wolverine either but the limited slip 4x4 will get you through a lot. It doesn't have a factory rear rack but you can buy one as an accessory to haul something like a cooler. In fact I think you can buy one of the six pack racks that fits a small cooler perfectly, its a direct replacement for the factory grab bar. The Wolverine even kinda looks like a sport quad but is a lot more capable when the going gets tough. And it weighs a lot less than other 4x4 quads, 200lbs less than some. The smaller size makes it easier to get down tight trails too.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Sport quads can go just about anywhere a 4x4 utility ATV can go, you just have to pick your lines a bit better.

For instance, if you are going over a large rock, it's better to allow the tires to drive over it vs letting it pass under your swing arm and sprocket. In mud - momentum, body language and again, picking your line correctly will get you thru a lot more than just coasting into it will.

I personally find sport quads to be more fun to ride, but there will always be times on the trail where a utility quad will be a better choice. It really depends on what your riding is like and also, what your riding buddies are on. It's kind of boring being on a utility quad when everyone else is on a sport quad and vice versa.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Honda R24 We respect your decision to prefer sport quads, my sons also preferred them over utility quads. Very few times were they first at the end of the trail unless I stopped to get them unstuck. If you ride the right trails then a big yes on the sport machines, however from my recent ventures and talking to others the trail system at most public riding areas in my part of the country has horribly rutted and not well maintained trails. For someone fairly new getting into riding I would still press forward on the utility recommendation due to trail conditions. If a newbie gets stuck all the time the fun factor will wear out quickly. That said....a good sport machine rider that has the experience and knows how to handle adverse trails is a real joy to watch! How they make it thru in one piece can be amazing sometimes....but yes they do!

Quick Reply: 400EX or Sportsman