Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Polaris or Can-Am??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris or Can-Am??

hi guys so i was wondering on which atv y'all would prefer a Polaris Sportsman 570 SP or a Can-Am Outlander XT. Im pretty new to these things and i want to get the most bang for my buck. I really just want to use it for riding around the deer lease and taking corn to the feeders, pulling out deer, and just some leisure riding. I just need some input as this will be a brand new purchase and not a Craigslist deal. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Well am new as well and I just bought 2 Polaris sportsmen EPS , I just found for the money your getting a great ATV.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Have had both Polaris and Can-Ams.

Some people have had bad experiences with both brands. The ones we had/have are good machines with very few problems. So, I like them both.

Polaris tend to have the most comfortable ride and are certainly more comfortable than the Can-Am's we've had. If you have issues with your back, stop reading and get the Polaris. Polaris also tends to have the most on board storage options, rack capacities, and towing capacities, and the 4wd system on the Polaris is just a little bit quicker to engage than the Can-Am system. The 570 Polaris is a single cylinder so you'll have more low end grunt than the Can-Am twin cylinder. If you want the most versatile quad out there look at the Sportsman X2. Has a 400 lb. capacity dumpbed that converts to a 2nd passenger seat in 10 seconds. I had an older one and loved it for everything except top speed. 2016 Polaris Sportsman X2 570 EPS Sage Green : Features Another thing that is nice about this machine is that you can unlock the rear differential so it's one wheel drive for less damage to your lawn.

The Outlander XT package has a lot of nice stuff on it. If you were to add the items to a Polaris machine you'd end up spending about the same money last time I looked into it. The big selling point on Can-Am is they have the best power to weight ratio of anybody. The Rotax engine will put a smile on your face. Twin is good for speed. Gets going faster than the Polaris 570, which isn't a slouch either.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd take a look at the new Yamaha Kodiak 700 too. Its about the same price as the Sportsman 570 but has 140 more cc. As far as power to weight goes, that's a close race between Yamaha and Kawasaki as the Brute Force is also much lighter than the Outlander or Sportsman models. In the end, more power will overcome extra weight on something like an atv. They're not directly proportional to performance. A 600 lb quad with 45 hp will not equal an 800 lb quad with 60 hp even though the power to weight is equal. The quad with more hp will be faster. Likewise a 1200 lb utv with 90 hp will be faster than either of them.