Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

09 Brute Force 650 SRA

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 01:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have noticed the ride isn't quite as soft as what the Grizzly was but that's to be expected going from an irs machine to one without it. With excessive amounts of rain lately, I did manage to high center it on some ruts that I would have been able to traverse on the Grizzly with its extra 2 inches or so of ground clearance but I was able to eventually muscle it out of it. It didn't help that at one point when grabbing the handlebars to push the machine out that I apparently hit the toggle switch for 4x4 and later realized that I was in 2wd. The switch works fine, I just accidently pushed it when I grabbed the handlebars. I used it many more times that day and it engagaged and disengaged properly. If I hadn't done that, it might have not been so hard to push out lol. I wasn't really looking for a camo machine, color isn't that important to me it just happened that this machine was camo, just coincidence. I do like it though. I may add a winch to this one and was looking at bags and boxes as it doesn't have a lot of onboard storage, just a compartment under the seat just like the Grizzly had and thats it, was thinking something like this would probably be good enough for what I want to do
Amazon.com: Camouflage ATV Rear Rack Utility Pack: Rage Powersports: Automotive Amazon.com: Camouflage ATV Rear Rack Utility Pack: Rage Powersports: Automotive
, it even comes in camo though it doesn't quite match the green camo of the Brute Force, black is another option too. Might not be the best or most durable bag but its just about the least expensive decent looking bag I saw on amazon. I like that it came with decent tires that were almost brand new so no need to replace those. Handling does seem better than the Grizzly, especially on off-camber stuff, it just feels less top heavy and tippy. Steering is slightly easier though with no eps, it still takes some effort in 4x4 and making 3 point turns on the trail is the norm just like with the Grizzly when you want to turn around. Power with the v-twin is definitely a step up from the 660 single and it flat out sounds better too. I have read it will do 68-70 mph though I haven't tried to confirm that, 55 mph is top speed I have had it up to so far and it does that quite easily. Generally about 30-35 mph is top speed I ever go anyway and it gets there pretty quickly. Plenty of power for hill climbing, as there are some rather steep hills on some of the trails I ride on so that is definitely something I wanted. I'm a big fan of the shifter on the Brute Force as well over the one the Grizzly had. Its just easier to use and more precise and I like how you hear it "click" when you get it in gear to know you got it. The fact that it is on the right hand side is good too, the left hand shifter of the Grizzly was always awkward to me, I don't know why anyone puts the shifter on the left side. Even in high range, it has plenty of low end torque and engine braking is solid going down pretty steep hills. I find it actually got the machine going slower than I wanted a few times and actually had to apply throttle to speed it up. I hardly ever even have to use the brakes at all as the engine braking slows down the machine so efficiently. So far I like the machine very much.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like a good fit for you.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the pics. I never see any on the trail and forgot what a Kawasaki looked like.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just got a new phone too, those are some of the first pics I took with it. I guess it takes some pretty decent pics. I kinda wish I could have bought the other 650 sra that I wanted even back before I got the Grizzly last year. Thinking back, taking a day off work would have been a great idea as I waited too long to get it and somebody else beat me to it. It was slightly older but it had even less miles, was owned by an old man who had died and his family just wanted to get rid of it. I also tried to buy a Prairie 700 before that but the seller decided to trade for a motorcycle(which I didn't have) instead of doing a cash sale. So I had Kawasaki on the radar for a while. I had only owned single cylinder machines before this one and I do like the extra punch of a v-twin.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good looking brute force Greg looks in real nice shape.I just bought my first v twin quad in the can am 570 I to love the v twin power

Old 05-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mechanically it seems to be quite solid. Everything seems to work just as it should. I just hope it doesn't rain all this long Memorial Day weekend. Going to check out a new local riding park and see what its all about if the rain holds off. They've got a big event planned to last all weekend so should be a lot of people there. https://www.facebook.com/Wrights-Off...9867976926100/, this place is only about an hour drive away from me. I think its meant more for full-size rigs but pretty much any type of vehicle is welcome there.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a lot of fun Greg that place looks awesome, let us know how the new quad performs.Throw in a pic or 2 or a video for good measure.