Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Utility/Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
The Scrambler 850/1000 at least has a rear rack. The Renegade has one you can add as an accessory. The Scrambler rack doesn't have nearly the capacity of the Sportsman or any utility quads racks though. Its basically just for hauling a cooler or small toolbox. So as long as you don't want to haul anything too heavy, it would be fine.
Well, I am not looking so much for packing out the racks, but hauling and towing are important. They make some farm attachments I like: Disc, Harrow, Plow, Seeder and I am worried that the Scrambler or Renegade might not like that too much. Many folks would just buy two machines, but I really just want one rig. If I start getting other machines, those will be Honda Three Wheelers as that's where my adrenaline addiction came from!!

Old 09-30-2016, 12:14 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

A scrambler in low range will pull the same as a Sportsman in low range. Same drive train and motor.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever you can't haul on the racks you can simply tow behind on a cart or trailer. I think about 1500 lbs is what they're rated to tow.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:09 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I would think the ATV with racks would cost more. You can always buy the sportsman and toss the racks to save money.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone! I think I am looking at either a Grizzly 700 or Sportsman 850. I will go with the best bang for the buck. I also just watched a cool video in which a guy modified a Grizzly to be more sporty. I could do the same on the Sportsman!! Again, you guys all rock!

Old 09-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Grizzly 700 is a good work quad and pretty fun too. Single cylinders tend to have more low end grunt than twin cylinders. Not that the Sportsman or other twin cylinder machines are shabby. They'll pull more than the makers suggest. Biggest problem with heavy trailers is coming to a stop. I've pulled an industrial sized wood chipper up a wet grassy hill that trucks couldn't get a good enough grip to move with a 500 single cylinder. I wouldn't do it all the time, but the power is there if you need it.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:59 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The Grizzly is a good choice , why does not Yamaha put Raptor plastic on a Grizzly and pass it off as a sport 4x4 like the rest do?

Old 09-30-2016, 07:49 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
The Scrambler, Renegade are the same ATV as the
Sportsman and outlander but with sporty plastics and no Racks. There is no true sport 4x4 ATV.

check this specs link 2016 Polaris ScramblerŽ XP 1000 Titanium Matte Lime ATVs Same same machine.

Having no racks will not make the Scrambler go up a dune any better than a Sportsman.
There's a 77 pound difference in weight so they aren't really the same. Very similar though.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
The Grizzly is a good choice , why does not Yamaha put Raptor plastic on a Grizzly and pass it off as a sport 4x4 like the rest do?
They used to with the Wolverine 450 4x4. They built it from 2006-2010. I had one myself a few years ago. I liked everything about the machine except it needed more power. If Yamaha had simply put the Grizzly 700 engine in it, problem solved. I think it didn't sell very well because the Renegade and Scrambler were more powerful and most people bought those. Or they just bought a Grizzly 660 or 700. The Wolverine was a lot smaller(and lighter) than the Renegade and Scrambler though. Torquey engine that lacked top end power. I think they were geared a bit lower than the Kodiak 450 that shared the same engine because of lack of a low range(which also saved weight). If you can find a Wolverine 450 4x4 used, they're actually not too expensive. A great trail quad but get out in the open or try to climb some dunes with them and you discover the limitations in power.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:30 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
There's a 77 pound difference in weight so they aren't really the same. Very similar though.
The two racks and the Sportsman has a winch maybe is the 77lbs the difference?

Quick Reply: Utility/Sport