Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Ice Fishing ATV with Tracks

Old 01-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't worry about the Polaris and Can-Am systems as far as 4wd goes. The Polaris system is essentially, instantaneous. The new Can-Am Visco Lok QE is also essentially instantaneous. I've had thousands of miles of seat time on Can-Ams and Polaris machines and the 4wd is excellent.

Realistically, any of the 650 plus cc machines that are out there will do what you're asking. Especially if you keep it in low gear. Try them out. See how you like them. Go between as many dealers as you can to get the price down. You can figure on at least 10% the list price if you are willing to talk to a few dealerships.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously change my mind every other day on this.........snowmobile, atv, side by side, atv with tracks, side by side with tracks, etc.

Thanks for more information. You guys have been great.

dbj216 - I hadn't seen that article. Thank you. I was thinking about the TS4 system.

For the type of application I'm intending (ice fishing along flat lakes with no incline/decline), I'm still thinking a smaller machine would suffice. I'm not racing to find a spot to fish. I would be fine with slow and steady.

And now I'm thinking tracks might not even be worth it based on their price. I plan on using the ATV on early ice (usually no snow) and then on bigger lakes that have plowed roads on them (tracks not really necessary).

RedRocket204 - That is a very excellent point to bring up about being stranded very far off the beaten path where another tracked machine would be your only savior.

I'm thinking I might start with a 500cc 4x4 with chained back tires and see how that works out.