Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying my first quad!

Old 03-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaR24
Sounds like you'd be better off with a sports quad honestly
What would you recommend?

Old 03-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the major brands seem to be good but aren't cheap new. You'll need to look at used quads only. The Z400 for example is over $7,000 new. Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - ATVs - Products - QuadSport Z400 - 2014 - LTZ400

Old 03-03-2017, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you can drive a standard car you can figure out a manual quad. Same idea except you pull a lever instead of putting your foot down to operate the clutch. Pretty straightforward. Honda 400ex might be a possibility. Not sure what the top speed is but it's pretty quick.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew_s
Sorry if that was missleading kymco i meant that we are usally going fast on dirt roads. I dont ride WOT all the time.

Good to hear, as an older gent I hear all the time about newbies wanting the fastest quad they can find. There are so many things that can go wrong at high speed that are beyond the control of the rider and the next thing you know someone is seriously injured or dead and everyone seems to think it only happens to others not me! My son is a paramedic in rural part of our state and unfortunately he gets far to many calls from atv accidents. Most common is inexperienced riders seeing how fast they can go. When a serious accident does occur it is never the fault of the rider, there is always an excuse such as..a tire blew out, or a deer ran out in front of me, or something happened to the machine. This used to happen a few times a year but each year it gets worse to where now it is a few times each month. The atv laws are getting more strict due to the carelessness of a few and the medical expenses for serious injuries is skyrocketing. Many people do not carry insurance on there atv, and many insurance companies do not cover your atv if riding on a public road so the hospitals end up eating these expensive costs. OK I will get off my soapbox now...just don't become a statistic, ride with extreme caution and be ready for anything as it will come when you least expect it!! Take your time and learn, yes learn to do it right! Good riding and be safe!

Old 03-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

What would you recommend?
For 3k dollars you COULD probably afford a 450 but considering your still fresh, I'd say a Honda 400ex or a suzuki z400 would probably suite you best. Suzuki is a little bit faster, Honda is generally a little bit more reliable but when it comes to buying used, every bike is in different shape so bring someone knowledgable with you who can help you look over it.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by HondaR24
For 3k dollars you COULD probably afford a 450 but considering your still fresh, I'd say a Honda 400ex or a suzuki z400 would probably suite you best. Suzuki is a little bit faster, Honda is generally a little bit more reliable but when it comes to buying used, every bike is in different shape so bring someone knowledgable with you who can help you look over it.
My das will be going with me (he is a diesel mechanic for 25 years) he is very smart when it comes the that stuff. What di you guys think about a banshee? They are cheap on craigslist by me. And my dad used to have one. Do you think it will be to much power for me. I dont want to buy a quad that i will grow out of. I have been working really hard to save money up. What do you guys think?

Old 03-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also I am 15 years old and i am very tall does this effect what i should get or not

Old 03-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Also I am 15 years old and i am very tall does this effect what i should get or not
I'm 6'3". There are quads I'm very uncomfortable on like the smaller Honda's. I like my knees to be at about a 90 degree angle or more for comfortable riding. Don't like when I have to fold my legs more than that for long periods. Weight is more of an issue riding quads. Do you have enough weight to counterbalance the quad in a turn? Ride time and experience are the best teachers. I've seen smaller folks on big utility machines. Most of the folks I've seen knew enough to not push the machine as hard as someone who has the weight to influence the quad.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Never buy any quad without a test ride, not only to be sure it works but you really need to know if it fits you! Riding a quad you are uncomfortable on can and will present problems down the road. My son had a couple Honda 400ex's and liked them a lot and he was 6'2". Good performance and lots of extra parts for them and they can be had used at reasonable cost if you can find one well taken care of. If your looking to do some muddin or rock crawlin you will need a utility machine. Both my boys had sport machines and ole Dad had a 4x4 machine, and it was a good thing as they left me in the dust I would soon catch up to them only to find them stuck in a mud hole. If it weren't for my 4x4 they would probably still be sittin there!

Old 03-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yea forgot to add....might want to pass on the Banshe idea as they are few and far between that are not abused. Great machines for sand dunes but for general riding performance on trails and short tracks the 400ex will beat them everytime. My son had one of those as well before the 400ex but sonn found the 400ex was cheaper to maintain and the 400ex was easier to ride and he was able to outrun other Banshe's on the track.

Search this Thread