Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

recon,beartracker,or 220bayou

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2000, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking for a ride for the kids, teenage females anyone have experience with these quads?

Note from atvbbs:

One forum per post, please; your duplicate posts have been deleted by moderators, your thread has been moved to the "Buying an ATV" forum; here are some responses from the Kawasaki forum:

quadmanqc
Montreal, QC, CA

Date Posted: Apr 08, 2000 2:29 PM

Go with the recon,
It's more powerfull
The motor is very good
and it's HONDA

Notify Moderator
4wheelr220
Catlin, IL, US

Date Posted: Apr 08, 2000 2:45 PM

My personal opinion is to go with a Bayou 220, i have one and im 15. Me and my friends
haver put this thing through total hell and the thing still runs, We've been through mud
above the motor and it still ran. i even took it through the river near my house that had 3
feet of fast water in it at the time. As for the power aspect, it has plenty, it has more than i
have ever needed. the only thing that I am considering changing is the tires. The held up
good and all, but they aren't very good in wet sloppy stuff. But over all, this machine is a
perfect match for almost everyone that rides at a normal pace and doesnt try to kill the
machine, but that is just my opinion. By the way, where do you all ride at???? I ride
mostly in the woods by my house in eastern illinois

Notify Moderator
GrizzlyJim
NB, MN, US

Date Posted: Apr 08, 2000 3:08 PM

I used to have a '99 Bayou 220 and it was a great machine. The Beartracker is the largest
of the three so if size is a factor you may wanna think about that one. The Recon is the
most expensive if cost is a factor. All three are great machines, see if you can test ride all
of them and find what suits your needs the best.

Notify Moderator
fl350r
forest city, PA, US

Date Posted: Apr 08, 2000 3:39 PM

I have a 94 220 bayou and a y2k bear tracker. The bayou is alot faster and has a uni-filter. I
put the bayou through h*ll and it still runs good. I have sunk it in eight feet of water and
many trips through a swamp. Once i rode it off a 10 feet high cliff (at night)and broke my
wrist. The bear tracker handles a little better, but i haven`t put it through h*ll yet. I hear that
the Recon is real nice and pretty sporty.

Notify Moderator

ADMIN FEATURES: Move Thread | Lock Thread | Delete Thread
All times are in CST
Mail Thread to a
Friend!

And from the Yamaha forum:

BrianWSNC
Winston Salem, NC, US

Date Posted: Apr 08, 2000 12:28 PM

I own a Bayou 220 and a good friend of mine owns a Recon.. both of these are good
quads. For Teenage girls.. depending on how their nature is.. have you though of the
automatic brands? I am thinking Suzuki makes a 160 that's automatic.. Check out the
QUAD SPECS under the ATVing.com home page.

url HTTP://briefcase.yahoo.com/brianwsnc
Brian in NC Bayou 220 & Rancher ES 4x4 Happy Quading!

Old 04-08-2000, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hey there ive road all those atv's and the best
that I thought was the recon because it had the power, and speed that I wanted. The bear is goed
but I didn't find the speed or power that we needed. 220 bayou is fun but steal I did not have the speed or power that I needed and the rack space is little.So goed luck choosing and tell me
how it goes or if you need help.

Old 04-08-2000, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

Definintly HONDA RECON. ONYL BUY HONDA make sure that it isnt to big for your kids.

Old 04-08-2000, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would also have to say Recon
the Kawi is just to old and I dont like the single a arms
the Bear Tracker is ok but the Recon is better

Old 04-08-2000, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

i have friends that have beartrackers and recons and the recons are a little better because it has more low end power better mudflaps and all they gurls down here dont like to get muddy and the beartracker will sling it pretty bad

go with the recon it is also faster

Old 04-08-2000, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

I had a 2wd Timberwolf same thing as a BearTracker and I liked it very much. It would go anywhere. I had it mud up to the headlights and it just kept going. It had decent speed and power. The only reason I got rid of it was because I could not keep up with my friends 300Ex and my other friends 230 Quad Sport. They are great fun and easy to ride no matter which one you get

Old 04-08-2000, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

My son has a Recon and my brother has a Bayou 220. Both are good, reliable, fun machines to ride. The brakes seem to hold up better on the Recon after a lot of mud riding. Probably because it has a sealed drum.Recon also goes through a little deeper water than the Bayou without drowning out. Both are good machines. The Bayou is a few hundred $ less. Good luck. Make sure all riders wear a helmet

Old 04-09-2000, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer

Had, and driven all three. RECON all the way!!! MUCH better low end tourque, faster, easier to ride and handle. Very user friendly. A little cold blooded, but that's probably my only minor complaint. Jeff

Old 04-10-2000, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

For what you are going to pay for the Recon you can add just a few bucks and purchase the Bayou 300. You will not only get more horsepower but also a slip-type differential that can be locked in or out. When left open it provides easy turning by allowing the rear wheels to rotate at different speeds. Should you find yourself stuck, use the locking feature to provide equal torque to both rear wheels. I believe the Bayou is the only ATV on the market with this feature.

I own both a Kawasaki (Bayou 220) and Honda (TRX300). My only regret in buying the Kawasaki is not forking out the additional bucks for the 300. I bought the Honda as a good deal on a used quad. However if I had been looking to purchase something new, no doubt that I would have gone with the Bayou 300.

Old 04-11-2000, 05:18 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all of the help, Im going to let the girls choose, they both have ridden the honda and kaw so far and they seem to prefer the kaw. I have a 2000 kodiak so we're going to give the yamaha a test ride also. For some reason they want a manual shift quad, go figure.

Quick Reply: recon,beartracker,or 220bayou