Camping, Hiking and Exploring Gear Discussion on camping, hiking, and exploring gear.

What do *you* use your GPS for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using a GPS in the woods, regularly, for over 10 years. The single most important thing to remember is that you cannot rely on it to get you out. Carry and know how to use a compass and map, mark your trail and stay aware.

That said my first hand-held still works and has never let me down. Take care of your gear and it will usually take good care of you.

Carry spare batts.

I download my tracks and relevant points, pictures and notes into Google Earth, creating an excellent database for hunting, etc., as well as for generating maps for exploring, hunting and for leaving at home, in the event something happens to me (I spend nearly all of my time in the wilderness alone and wouldn't mind getting rescued if snot hits the fan)

The reverse also works. If I see something interesting, I sometimes note the lat/long on Google Earth, then enter it into my GPS and head out to find it.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Range Rover

I have yet to use mine on my atv but use it on my snowmobile all the time. I set way points for bars and gas stations along the trail in case we run low and need to find our way to some gas. It prevents me from having to stop at all intersections and look at sign posts for directions. If I am by town A and want to go to town B I can bring up the city closest to my next destination and a compass will lead me that direction even if I am not looking at the trail map it self. My Garmin Rino has the 2 way radio if I loose communication. With the Rino anyone else in your party will show up on your map when they key the mic to talk so you can keep track of anyone.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a Garmin 76CSx, loaded with both topo and city navigator. The pickup has factory GPS, but I use it hunting, hiking, and on the Adventure motorcycle, and on the quad. On the Adventure motorcycle I wanted turn by turn instructions, as well as being able to find gas stations/food and what not.

I wouldn't be without one. I got the Garmin handlebar mount, with some extra handlebar clamps, and a 12v power cord. It comes with a sleeve the unit slides into, which locks into place and also captures the power plug and locks it into place. The sleeve bayonette mounts onto the handlebar clamp, so it is easy to switch from machine to machine.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Pro Rider

spent a lot of time looking for small muskeg lakes with gps mounted on dash of snowmobile and quad. got fix for gps from maps or goggle earth. alberta is crossed by cutlines that made exploring with quad or sled fun.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:57 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I don,t mind being lost as long as I have lots of gas. Some times its fun in a way.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't even use my GPS anymore but I used to map the trails as I rode. A couple of times it came in handy when I wanted to find the short way back to the truck.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:23 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i use mine to store dead batteries in 2 hours into the trails

but usually- i just make sure im riding with someone who has a better memory than i have, which is basically any animal with more memory than a gold fish

Old 09-26-2013, 05:32 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
I don,t mind being lost as long as I have lots of gas. Some times its fun in a way.
lol!
being lost in a canadian trail would have me pissing my bikini!
I've been lost in the northern maine trails at dark- not fun! and I've ridden canada trails- theres no end to them- you can literally go 22 miles down a logging road that just ends in the middle of nowhere! which I'm sure you know all about

Old 04-18-2015, 04:35 AM
Trailblazer

Regular GPS units are only receivers and cannot send your position to anyone else. Cellphones with GPS chips can do that; I know the iPhone has several different applications like this and they are probably also available for other smart phones. A cellphone probably doesn't meet your "ruggedness" requirement though.

There is another system which uses satellite communication for this but it involves monthly subscription costs. Maybe Tim will recall this unit, it was discussed here some time back.

Reading your post again, I'm not sure if you meant real time tracking of your position. If you just want to save your track for future use, almost any GPS will do that.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I use my gps every ride out even if its the same trail. Several times a trail i have ridden several times i have found a new trail off it. I Dl my trips usually after every trip. Used it several times when i find a good trail on google maps and i mark it on the gps. Have had to use it a few times when i get turned around on a trail to get me pointed back in the right direction.. Always have spare batteries with me and always use a good set of sanyo envalop batteries in it usually get 100+ hours easily on a charge.

Quick Reply: What do *you* use your GPS for?