Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » CAN-AM (BRP) » CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert!
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Old 11-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!
Garage is empty, add now

Default Slipping Warn winch

This weekend my 2500 lb. Warn winch on my 2009 Can-Am 650 Max XT started slipping, with a clicking noise that sounded like a ratchet wrench. I could pull the wire out easily, even when the "in" button was pushed. It started as an intermittent problem when I was winching in one of my two docks, and by the time I got to the second dock the problem was continuous. (I could not even winch in the bare wire with no load.)

So, is my winch toast? Is the clutch gone, or what? Any ideas would certainly be appreciated!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
2006 Yamaha YFZ 450

Have you put over 2500# on it?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Garage is empty, add now

Do you have the directional lever turned all the way?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!
Garage is empty, add now

Who knows, maybe I did overdo it months ago when I was pulling the dock right up out of the water for repairs, but it worked fine after that, until just this past weekend. Also, I tried locking and unlocking it with the release dial, but that made no difference.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Took the winch right off and will be taking it in to a Warn dealer, who suggested ot may be the direction lever. We'll see.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Default Lots was wrong with the Warn Winch

Well, I got the winch back, and they had to give it a clutch kit, a new sun gear, a new driveshaft, and a new bushing kit - $142 plus tax.

I have only had this winch for a couple of years on an ATV, and rarely used it except for plowing in the winter. Not too impressed with Warn right now.

(Come to think of it, I also had a switch problem right off, which was fixed a couple of years ago under warranty.)
Old 12-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

I thought Warn had a lifetime warranty on all mechanical components? Thats what it stats on the site.
2012 Polaris 850XP Touring Limited. Black Diamond XTR tires with C7 Wheels, Lock and ride rear ATVSuperStore box, Warn ProVantage Plow with Power Pivot, Collett headset w/bluetooth. 2500 lb winch, heated grips/thumb, shield, ATV Mirrors, 3 in 1 ATV hitch, RotoPax fuel pack with mounts, Ricochet Skid Plate System & HID lights from www.TheATVSuperStore.com. Wife has no clue what I spent PRICELESS!!!! Thor Export. Exporting ATV's & Motorcycles across the World for over 16 years!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:13 AM
Range Rover
Garage is empty, add now

Probably the labor charge.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:13 AM

Tags
15, 1500ci, 2000, 2500, atv, clutch, lb, noise, slipping, ticking, warn, warner, wench, winch, xt