CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer Non-General or Non-Basic questions about your CAN-AM (BRP) ATV. ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE CAN-AM (BRP) SECTION. Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
MrHorsepower and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

brake pads- is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry brake pads- is this true?

so- I just had a heated "discussion" with the dealer regarding my2013 outty 1000 max xt and brake pads.

My new outty has just over 300 miles on it and it needs pads? The dealer says it's down to the metal and it's normal- according to him.

How in the world can an atv chew through 3 sets of pads in under 300miles?!?

especially when 1/2 of those miles are on open logging roads- and I hardly ever use the brakes in the first place because the engine brake is so strong. Are not ATV pads are the same material as automotive pads? they should be lasting much longer than 300miles!!!

I've owned 8 outlanders- I've never seen pads that last only 300 miles! That’s 1 weekend of riding! BRP really expects people to replace $150 in brake pads every other ride? bullshit!

Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the brakes were rubbing or Can Am switch to a inferior brake pad on the newer models.

While parked in neutral did the ATV roll easily in the garage if you pushed it or did the brakes feel like they were rubbing?

Personally I never touch the brakes, I find they only slow you down.

Try EBC sintered brake pads next.http://ebcbrakes.com/product/atv-sintered-pads/ My dad Sportsman has no ebs so it went through pads but these EBC pads hold up much longer.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

thanks tlc-
no they were not rubbing- as I could easily push the atv out of the garage.
I seldom use the brakes also- which is why I'm so angry that they could be worn out-

I refuse to buy brake pads every 300 miles- I'll sell this and go back to polaris before that happens!

I just wrote a 2 page letter to can-am.... I'll get a response.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Did they say if both pads were down to metal or one side? Might ask them to save them so you can see.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:18 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Did they say if both pads were down to metal or one side? Might ask them to save them so you can see.
he said all 3 sets were down to metal.
good idea to get to old pads back...

Old 06-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Brothers 2013 renegade has 400 miles, still has the entire pad left. We actually inspected them last week. He barely uses them as well. Maybe you drove with the parking brake on? Did YOU actually inspect the pad or are you taking his word? I have 2k miles on my 08 outty 650, Original pads also with about 1/2 of the pad left

Old 06-04-2014, 10:34 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

the letter I just sent to can-am.
And they called me within the hour to open a claim and work with the dealer- we'll see...

[quote]
Hello... ...

I just had a discussion with my dealer regarding my new 2013 outtlander 1000 max xt vin#(.......................) and its brake pads- and a $50 deductible payment to fix an issue that was caused either by the dealer installing the factory headed grips / thumb warmer.

1st- My new outlander has 319 miles on it and I was informed by the dealer that every pad was down to metal!

This is inconceivable to me. How can an atv chew through 3 sets of pads (2 front / 1 rear) in under 300 miles? Especially when75% of those miles are on open logging roads- and, since the brakes are seldom needed / used in the first place due to the strong engine braking. I've only used this atv maybe 4-5 times since I bought it- It's washed after EVERY ride and stored in a heated garage.

2nd- I brought my outlander into the dealer to have them install factory heated grips and thumb warmer- while unloading the atv from the trailer at the house that night, I noticed the the hi beam / low beam head lights did not work properly (they worked fine before the heated grips were installed by the dealer). I called the dealer and informed them of the issue and was told it could be a faulty switch. The dealer informed me they are charging me a $50 deductible to have it warranty replaced!

To sum it up: I don’t expect to spend $200+/- every other ride to replace brake pads- this is unreasonable and just plain silly! I’m also fuming that I’m stuck paying a $50 fee to have an issue fixed that was either caused by the dealer’s tech installing the heated grips- or at the very least was a defective factory part to begin with!

I've owned 8 outlanders if the past 4 years (2 were purchased new from a can-am dealer) and I’ve every intention on buying new outlanders in the future for my children as well as purchasing new models for myself as new models arrive- If BRP / Can-Am expects to keep me as a loyal customer- and expects me to pay a premium ($10,000 +) to own what I believed to be a cutting edge, quality atv- then they need to fix this brake pad issue! I simply WILL NOT buy another can-am product if I can expect to only get 300 miles from a set of brake pads on an atv that’s seldom used and religiously maintained.

Thanks for allowing me to vent my frustration- I patiently await your response.

Sincerely,

[/QUOTE]

Old 06-04-2014, 10:43 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by HondaR24
Brothers 2013 renegade has 400 miles, still has the entire pad left. We actually inspected them last week. He barely uses them as well. Maybe you drove with the parking brake on? Did YOU actually inspect the pad or are you taking his word? I have 2k miles on my 08 outty 650, Original pads also with about 1/2 of the pad left
you can't drive with the parking brake on- it would hardly move- and not coast at all- plus, if the hand brake or foot brake is engaged for over 20 seconds- the "BRAKE!" light illuminates on the dash, which I would see- plus, I roll this thing around in my garage on a regular basis simply by pushing it- and the brakes worked fine the day I rode it onto the trailer.

I put about 900 miles on my 2011 800 max xt- with the factory brakes on it.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

You might want to just tell the dealer any parts they replace, you need the old part.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
You might want to just tell the dealer any parts they replace, you need the old part.
If the dealer is that shady, then what would stop him from just taking another customers old worn out pads and showing them to him? That's why I do my own maintenance and repairs within my ability. Too many shady dealers out there trying to pull one over on the customer who just dumped 10k.

Quick Reply: brake pads- is this true?