CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer Non-General or Non-Basic questions about your CAN-AM (BRP) ATV. ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE CAN-AM (BRP) SECTION. Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
MrHorsepower and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Can Am rumblings

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Can Am rumblings

Anyone hearing anything about DIFF improvements on the ATV's. I know the XMR diffs are stronger than the regular one's, and Gen II's are better than Gen I's but they are still having issues. When are we going to see them fix the problems? Needle bearings, larger hubs in general etc are all a good thing, but it is the Metal problem with heat on the ring gears that still are biting us. Just make it stop, or I will by taking my dollars to a competitor. Something I said I would never do....

Old 03-22-2016, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Haven't heard anything personally. Anyone?

Old 03-23-2016, 06:08 AM
Pro Rider

Don't get me wrong... I love Can-Am. Used to race flat track on one. Also Used to only own Ski-Doo snowmobiles back when I lived in real snow country. Would never ride anything else, and made a lot of yellow snow.. (Old timer joke) I bleed yellow blood. That is why it kills me to see this happening. There are guys out there making a good living re-building the diffs. That is a red flag to me. The problems with the ring gears, bearings, seals etc are pretty consistant. All point to heat, AND wear patterns related to reversing. It has to be costing a ton of money replacing them on warranty. Not sure why this is such a hard nut to crack. (Buy better steel and heat treat the gears better?) For the premium price we pay for these things, we deserve a better product.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I personally haven't seen that problem. Squeaky rear suspension, whiny transmission, yes. For years, at least up here in New England, Polaris ruled the roost for 4x4 quads. Seems to be a shift to Can-Am. I haven't found either to be any more reliable than the other.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard that it's a backlash issue that's causing the rear diffs to blow apartment on some Outlanders and renegades. I've also heard that it's an engineering default, NOT a assembly issue . Only solutions so far seems to be changing to a XMR rear differential. Still, most people seem to not be having an issue. I've been lucky so far with my 800r.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah that is what I am hearing too. The ones that are failing are the guys who really push the limits in mud, Muskeg riding, have the throttles pinned all the time etc. which is causing heat buildup, and guys that are running larger than stock tire combinations. I think you are right, the way to go is to get an XMR. Lot's of guys get the XMR, then swap for less aggressive tires. Don't seem to have any issues after that.