CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Traxter Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 06:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxter Reliability

Hi bp22,
I've had my Traxter '03 just over a year now. We use it for hauling hay for horses, snow plowing, pulling yard wagons, and trail riding. The only trouble I've had was from a cut CV boot from running through heavy brush. I've added the a-arm covers to prevent that happening again. I've done several days trail riding in Penn. mountains. The Traxter has been extremely stable, powerful uphill, well controlled downhill (the engine braking is very useful), and it can haul a large amount of gear and has been used as the lead quad for passages that were possibly chancy and for pulling other quads out of trouble. With the Hi/Low trans in the Lo setting you can go very slow pulling loads or equipment - the Traxter is set up for doing just that. With the auto trans, new riders can let the bike do the work, with the push of a button you can up/down shift at will, or with the flick of a switch, run the bike with manual shifting (no clutching). For the "farm" work I especially like the fact that the Traxter doesn't use belt or chain drive. It has direct gear-to-gear drive. Solid and no slip. With the snow plow mount I lose about 1.5" of ground clearance. I'm considering adding a lift kit and/or larger tires to regain the clearance. I've rolled it once - my fault- driving beyond my skill/experience. Slight bend to handlebar, rearranged brake fluid reservoir, dented speedometer. The bike restared immediately.
I'm proud of the Traxter and my choosing it. It does everything I could expect, and more, and does it with balance, power, and some well thought-out technology.

Old 01-11-2004, 06:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi bp22,
I've had my Traxter '03 just over a year now. We use it for hauling hay for horses, snow plowing, pulling yard wagons, and trail riding. The only trouble I've had was from a cut CV boot from running through heavy brush. I've added the a-arm covers to prevent that happening again. I've done several days trail riding in Penn. mountains. The Traxter has been extremely stable, powerful uphill, well controlled downhill (the engine braking is very useful), and it can haul a large amount of gear and has been used as the lead quad for passages that were possibly chancy and for pulling other quads out of trouble. With the Hi/Low trans in the Lo setting you can go very slow pulling loads or equipment - the Traxter is set up for doing just that. With the auto trans, new riders can let the bike do the work, with the push of a button you can up/down shift at will, or with the flick of a switch, run the bike with manual shifting (no clutching). For the "farm" work I especially like the fact that the Traxter doesn't use belt or chain drive. It has direct gear-to-gear drive. Solid and no slip. With the snow plow mount I lose about 1.5" of ground clearance. I'm considering adding a lift kit and/or larger tires to regain the clearance. I've rolled it once - my fault- driving beyond my skill/experience. Slight bend to handlebar, rearranged brake fluid reservoir, dented speedometer. The bike restared immediately.
I'm proud of the Traxter and my choosing it. It does everything I could expect, and more, and does it with balance, power, and some well thought-out technology.

Old 01-11-2004, 06:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi bp22,

Weekend Warrior

Hi bp22,

Weekend Warrior

Hi bp22,

Old 01-11-2004, 06:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi bp22,

Old 01-11-2004, 06:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi bp22,

Old 01-11-2004, 06:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh, Cr*p. sorry for the dups.

Old 01-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Since my last post I have purchased another Quest 650 and a friend of mine purchased one too. We have put them through the rigors of trail riding, snowplowing, tree/stump pulling, etc. and they have performed great. The trouble I had with the first Quest 650 was a recall problem involving the electrical starting system and that particular unit was not updated with the fix. Since the fix it has been fine. Another good note is that I have called Bombardier customer service a couple of times and they have been very responsive and proactive in dealing with me. To help alleviate any service concerns, you can also choose the 3-year warranty special they are running until the end of this month. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought an 04 Traxter Max back about 15DEC. I am very pleased...plowed 6" of snow last night completely effortlessly. The only complaint I have to date is the "range" shifter. It is hard to move sometimes. I realize that tapping the throttle slightly often results in a "happy" position for it to move, but sometimes it stil feels like I have to rip it apart! Perhaps my idle needs to be tweaked down a little...I have learned that sometimes if I shut off the engine and shift, it is much quicker than fighting with the mechanism.

Otherwise, so far, with something like 7 hours only on the machine, it is all that I had hoped for.

Thanks for the updates and words fellas. Feel free to ask anything anytime.

Quick Reply: Traxter Reliability