CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

sand tires/paddels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sand tires/paddels?

from what i have read the Skat trak are one of the best tires you can buy. i like drag racing but i am just a stage 2. but i also like hill climbing, and ramping. and i only get to go to good sand about 3 times a year. so i really wasn't looking to spend $250+ on a set of paddels. so just looking for some advise on a good set on "do it all" paddels. not that i belive everything i read in dirtwheels,but there sure seem to lean toward geiko as a all purpose tire. and they are fairly cheap. around $148+ shipping. and i like the fact that they are 21's. any help would be greatly appreciated.if i need to go ahead and spend the money i probaly will.

Old 01-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

I'm running 22x11x10 Skat-Trak Extremes, and 22x8x10 GBC Dune Trackers and could not be more happy. Spent $450 on sand tires but they work great.

Tom

Old 01-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Forget the Geckos, they are way too heavy IMO. Look for something 22"+ tall and as light as possible. Maybe the new ITP sand stars if they are cheap enough..

Old 01-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search back a couple pages, there was an ongoing debate on the best paddle tires, lots of good info there... well anyway do your reaserch.. SKat Tracs definatly a winner but expensive.... most people in this forum will advise you to go with 22" tires.....do all the readin and try someones quad with paddles if you can.. Any way personally i just got a new set of Skat Trac Edge 20x10x10 10 paddles, and just removed my skat trac Haulers 20x10x10 8 paddle.... the haulers worked great for me but do to the fact i hardly ever drag race iwanted to give the Vees a try... Anyway will be getting ride of the haulers for like $80.. the nipples are wore off, thats about it... year and a half old.. pm if interested.

Old 01-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ditto Forget geckos

Old 01-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Range Rover

If all you want to do is race up the hill, go for a straight paddle design.
If you like to go play and want better turning, check out the Gecko
and Sand Star. I personally dont like going to the dunes to race up the hill all day,
so I originally went for the Geckos. We have a few DS guys in our group,
they all run straight paddles. Now they all want V-style (none of us shoot the hills seriously).
I recently switched to the ITP Sand Stars. I like them even more
than the Geckos. Padle is more agressive, believe me, you dont want to ride behind these
things!!!! they throw sand everywhere.
Just depends on what your going to do while at the dunes.
Whatever you decide dont go any smaller than 21" (at least with V style).................. smaller than that tend to bury

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck with your purchase

PS you can get Geckos or Sand Star for like $50 a tire.

Old 01-02-2004, 01:56 AM
Range Rover

I bought a set of sandstars, 20x11x10 and they work pretty good for all around use. I was not happy with the holeshot, they spun for about 20ft when starting in second shooting the hill. Other than that they hook up very good, they will pick the front wheels up going up the hill. Wanting a faster start, I ordered a set of 22x11x10 10 paddle extreme haulers which I will be trying out this weekend. I will post back sat night and let you know the difference.

Old 01-02-2004, 02:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

When you shop for tires, it isn't the 'advertised' tire size that matters as much as the 'true' size. Many, many tires that are rated 20" are really 16-18" tall (measured at the carcass.) On a DS, you really want something with a 20" carcass - which most 22" rated tires will be. Ever heard of Dune Trakkers from Kenda? I tried some of those - they are supposedly 20" tall, however my measuring take says 16.5 - 17"! Those tires are impossible to use on a DS - I spent one entire day at Pismo beach lifting the back of my DS out of the sand every single time I stopped. (And remember: 12" suspension, plus a hole about 6" deep, plus a mound of sand next to the hole about 3 - 6" tall means you are trying to lift the back of your DS almost 24" up and then way over so you're out of the hole!)

Another tire you might look into that is in the mid range is the STU Sand Skate II. I have a set on my 2001 DS and they work rather well. Rocky Mountain ATV has them for a pretty decent price already mounted on rims & ready to go. These measure a true 20" at the carcass, so they're big enough to keep you on top of the sand.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

ok i appreciate the advice. i think i'll try the itp sand stars.

Old 01-06-2004, 04:46 AM
Pro Rider

I have a new set of 9-paddle Double buff's Extremes on Black label Douglas rims, they are 25x12x9's and they are lighter than my 22's. I just bought them and I don't have any use for them anymore.

Quick Reply: sand tires/paddels?