CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

lots of metal shavings in oil after stage 3 break in?

Old 05-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lots of metal shavings in oil after stage 3 break in?

I just changed my oil before a riding trip this weekend and found a bunch of small shavings on the drain plug and also when I opened the pleats of the oil filter I saw some at the bottom of the pleats. Could this be from the new rings breaking in or my clutch wearing out??? It runs great and doesn't make any strange noises but I've never seen this many shavings in the oil. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 05-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Are the shavings a golden color?

Old 05-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

what does golden shavings mean brass or bronze meaning the rod bushing on either end or the main bushings?

Old 05-12-2005, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Have you put the shift fork upgrade in that 2001?

Old 05-12-2005, 02:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Gold flakes can be from the connecting rod bearing but, since you just did a stage 3 I would check my valve springs. If they break, they will eat away at the valve guides. Not common but, I'ld rather look at the head than split the cases.

Did you replace your clutch springs? The rack actuation clutch teeth break off real easily. It would look like a tooth of a gear more than a shaving though.

Old 05-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Range Rover

the shavings did not look like brass or bronze, and I have not done the shift fork upgrade yet, will I know when I need to replace the shift fork?, and I am running 40% heavier clutch springs on the origanal clutches. After I put it back together I have been doing lots of hard riding/drag racing so I dont know if that is what is causing this.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Pro Rider

If you bored the sleeve or honed it and you run a new piston and rings, you will have metal filings in your oil. It will keep doing it until the rings are sealed properly and the sleeve is smooth.

With a new sleeve and piston, change the oil and oil filter after two tanks of fuel then again after 5 tanks. If the problem persists, then you have other problems. If it gets better, you know it's normal.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

What is your definition of "lots" of shavings. It is common to see metal shavings on the magnet of the drain plug and see a few shavings on the oil filter housing.

Clean the screen in the oil tank when you change the oil. Most metal shavings come off of the transmission gears during hard drag racing.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Range Rover

I have hever seen this many on the plug magnet before, and they have always been like little metal dust or hairs, these that I found now are a little larger. Should I be concerned if these are from the tranny gears?

Old 05-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the SIZE of the metal. I just did an oil change last week and found 1 chunk of metal about the size of the tip of a ball point pen located in the oil tank screen. There was one other piece about half that size and the rest were very small shavings. All of the metal looked silver in color.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lots of metal shavings in oil after stage 3 break in?