CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds650 starting problem HELP

Old 08-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds650 starting problem HELP

Howdy, I'm new to the forum but I had a similar problem on my DS Baja. I held the start button it ran and when I let off it stopped. I am very good with bikes and what I found is it was over fueling when I moved it around. I took out the plugs, plugged them back in the wires and fired it to make sure I got a good spark, plus it dried them. Put them back in and if I so much as move the darn thing, I run it dry. I just turn on the fuel when I am ready to ride and it's never been a problem since. I almost returned the bike because of it. Anyway, this may not be the problem but it sure sounded familiar....Mike W.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Hi guys. Sorry for the delay but I have been buisy. To answere the question of will it run and rev up. YES it will. It will run just as it should but as soon as I let off the start button it dies imidiataly. Now granted I only let it run for a few seconds because I don't wanna ruin the starter. There is a update to this mess and I really wish that I could tell ya what that problem was but I do not know for sure. The last thing that I was gonna try was to take the switch apart to see if I could see something wrong. I did not see anything wrong and I took the switch completely apart. I didn't see what I thought and that was I thought was gonna be something touching. But from what I could see, the switches could not ground out one another. But when I tried to start it before putting the switch back together it started and ran the way it should "without holding the button"?????????????????????. I knew it was a electrical problem but had no idea what it could be because I tested everything that I could test. There is a couple of other things that might of caused this and I believe this is what caused it. I had tried to start it with a jump pack that was barely cranking it over, and then I used my battery charger"on crank mode = 200amp". I think the jumpstart didn't have enough volts left in it, and I think the battery charger was over volting it, I don't know if the charger could do that because I don't have a volt meter anymore but this is my theory. Thanks for all the imput and sorry for not being a little more defined in the first post, and trust me I know what you mean by wanting precise description of problem. I am also into nitro gas powered r/c trucks and drag cars and people ask me stuff all the time. Well until next time, thanks. RUSS

Old 08-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums Mangy mutt

Old 08-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

Oh by the way. When it started and ran the way that it is supposed to, I had my battery out of my truck and hooked it up to the ds with jumper cables. If this problem ocures again I will let you all know. RUSS

Old 08-26-2005, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Ahh... is it possible your battery was just too low to run the machine? I now remember having similar troubles and replaced my battery. I bet it is.

Old 08-27-2005, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Ya, thats what I think, but not sure why it did that with my battery charger hooked up "charger only". It is still bugging me.

Old 08-27-2005, 06:18 AM
Pro Rider

Why dont you just stick a multimeter to thebattery and see what kind of juice you have. Oh another thing with 21 threads you shouldn't come out acting like a jacka$$ when you are asking for other peoples help. I dont care what your problem is if you take your time and describe the problem completely someone on this forum will be able to help you. That was a good way to get yourself blackballed on here. There is alot of great people on here that are willing to help but just show a little consideration. Some of our biggest problems are created by the stupidist little things that we overlook. Welcome to the forums Russ.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

Hey 2big2fast, I really don't appreciate being called names. If you felt this post to be offending, wich was not my intention "if you read it,you know that" then you shouldn't of replied like that. Thats the kind of thing that gets your a$$ kicked. I was not trying to be a smarty pants, I just wanted solid answeres and thats what I was saying. Yes I may only have 20 post on here but that doesn't make me any less of a person. Another thing, keep those kind of comments to yourself, if you feel that way then thats your right but you need not say it. People do get frustrated when they have problems but comments like that only cause more frustration. IF YOU READ THE REPLIES YOU SEE I SAID SORRY FOR BEING RUDE! Now again I apologize for offending anyone, and thank you all who tried to help and I do appreciate all the support with questions and parts. Thanks, RUSS I was wrong 2big2fast. I thought I apologized earlier for sounding rude but I didn't, I guess I meant to but didn't. So again I am sorry for sounding like anything but a civilized person. My bad! RUSS

Old 08-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Let the initiating begin!!

Old 08-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

rfwlll,

You said you hooked up your battery charger directly to the machine and tried to run it, right? And it wouldn't go. My understanding is that battery chargers produce such a 'dirty' electric signal that you can't do much other than charge a battery with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ds650 starting problem HELP