CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is Blown Head Gasket My Fault ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Blown Head Gasket My Fault ?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]Was told by TVI that it was my fault that the head gasket blew on my 02' DS 650 with TVI's 720 BigBore kit. TVI said it blew because it had a Ron Woods CDI box. Was not told prior to riding that cdi box would damage the motor. Was charged $1,600.00 to repair it ,on top of the original $2,833.00. Gary Tiffany was very unreasonable when it came working this problem out. Is this problem common or has anyone else had this problem with TVI's 720 kit.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

1600$??? u must of had more than a head gasket blown... im guessing u bent a valve or somthing of that nature...yes the rwr cdi has cost quite a few of us $$$ from over reving it continually on a stock head...but rwr cdi has nothing to do with just the head gasket. uu might want to check back with gary and what exactly cost an extra 1600$

Old 11-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Gary replaced base gasket, head gasket, ring set, and amsd enhancer kit. Gary was going to send us back out the door with RW cdi , we ask about msd, so that we would'nt blow the gasket again.

Old 11-13-2005, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

i dont beilieve the rwr cdi has ANYTHING to do with the gasket failure....try it out with the msd..hopefully it will hold it together, but after it fails again, try the cometic triple layer gasket, its a bulletproof cure to the constantly leaking head gassket issue...keep us onformed...

Old 11-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a Full 730 Race Build!

And for future reference, give the folks at Horsepower Research a call when it comes time for perfromance upgrades, you'll get a better product and deal with better people.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1882
And for future reference, give the folks at Horsepower Research a call when it comes time for perfromance upgrades, you'll get a better product and deal with better people.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I'm glad to hear HPR is doing well for many on the forums. BUT. . . (and here's where I'm going to offend some) don't be such a stupid A$$ to say that Gary's not good people. Have you met him? Have you talked to him? There are a number of people that will tell you stories of how Gary helped them. Saying that the HPR guys are "better people" than Gary. . . I wouldn't say that and I wouldn't say Gary's better either. There are a lot of other great builders out there that have done great things for a lot of members here and probably even more people we don't know about.

The last DS Days I couldn't have been more impressed by Kelly from KMS. He drove up with his family for a vacation and ended up working on his customer's bikes all weekend. AND he puts out a great product. So, mention his name as well.

On-Dunes and TVI also helped out many fellow riders and customers while at DS Day's on their vacation.

I obviously don't know the specifics of this head-gaskett issue as I don't think many of us do but, you're an idiot if you start bashing some of the people in this sport that are helping so many. Do you really want these people to give-up on us because they are sick of the lack of appreciation? If you're in this sport long enough, one of these days you'll call Gary and he'll help you out.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Well said Dune Me!

Old 11-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very much agreed.....But Gary, you need to solve this issue. A forty dollar head gasket and a couple hours labor, and we might not be hearing about this, instead of hearing how happy this guy was that you took care of a little failure. Thats just good business, stand behind your product!

Old 11-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

VERY WELL SAID DUNEME!

I couldnt have said it better myself. But, if we are gonna start talking about good builders, we need to include ALL that have contributed to the DS communites in times passed and gone. There are still a few out there who will go that extra mile just to give you the shirt off of their back.

Oh yeah, about the head gasket...I would think whenever I bought the product then its my puppy whenever I leave the shop. Faulty head/cylinder seal is another issue. JMO! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

we are really very lucky to have all these great builders to choose from..every one of them will give the shirts right off there back to help ya...

as for the head gasket, i think that is a bunch of crap... u spend three to four thousand dollers for the big bore and all the extras, just to have to tare it down once a month to change out the gasket. im a big fan of gary and tvi but he needs to admit to the faulty gasket( even tho it might 2 out of 5 fail)and go to the cometic(doesnt matter which one,as long as it holds) from the start.i dont know why he is so partial to that copper gasket...it didnt work AT ALL for me...

Quick Reply: Is Blown Head Gasket My Fault ?