CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Stock Carb Mods - Summary

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Carb Mods - Summary

OMG!!! This mod works better than I could have imagined. I went to the local hardware store with a stock snorkle tube in hand and a head full of doubts about asking for some "sump pump hose" so I wandered around the store meandering into the plumbing section. Looked high and low then a plastic bag caught my eye up on the top shelf...YUP...$12.99 and enough to do 4 quads. The kicker is that it's all one piece but separated every so often by a smooth section with a division ring where you cut--NO Guesswork! Followed OMR's instructions, put in a DJ needle in that came out of my '01 a couple years ago, put a DJ 180, and actually didn't like the idea of loosing the clear tube and putting a filter on the port at the carb so I just reinstalled as stock. I reused a portion of the stock tubes to get the air to the back of the airbox as well...adjusted the floats...checked my air/fuel mixture screw and fired her up! This was done on my wife's '05 and what a blast! Wheelies are a piece of cake 1st thru 3rd...4th and 5th are a can do as well with a little clutch and throttle action. The little motocross track at the lake here is a blast now as well. It's amazing how much more control is gained with crisp throttle response and the ability to loft the front end at will--it feels like shedding 50-75lbs........................................if you're still at the bolt on stage of the game running the stock carb and don't do this mod by the weekend you're missing the boat!!! Drilling the slide was a breeze...look at the bottom and think of rolling a 5 on a dice...clean up the plastic shavings...grind the lowest washer on the needle into a "D"...least-expensive greatest-gain mod I've ever done! THANKS a 1000000, OMR!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer

you think you guys could post some pics of these mods??? would really love to see them in some detail so i can put it together in my mind...... thanks and would be greatly apprciated

Steven Smith

Old 03-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

I did this last night and it actually only took me about a half hour to get it out, work on it, and back runnin...I thought I would be confused but it went very easy...I rode all day today and it was running well...I have an 04 and the spring was already the correct length....I still need to do the intake snorkel mods yet...This diagram may help a little...http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm...It is for a harley but it is basically the same carb.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

OMR,

I have a question, What is the jet in front of the main jet's purpose? Also, could you give some more detail about your modified emulsion tube? OK two questions.

Thanks,

Ben

Old 03-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

OMR, I live about 60 miles from you. I am by no means a carb guy. What would you charge me to do mine if I drop it off at your door?

Old 03-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: stsmith27
you think you guys could post some pics of these mods??? would really love to see them in some detail so i can put it together in my mind...... thanks and would be greatly apprciated

Steven Smith
I have done the Mod and love the low and mid range .Top has suffered though . I ride at glamis and I will run out of power when I am climbing a big dune.
Next trip I am going to drop a tooth in the front ,replace the air bleed jet with a .40 that I received from Rob performance re-jet and run it with lid off.

There are some pix of the mods in my gallery

Old 03-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

I read somewhere in here that the boot between the carb and the air box colapses so i checked it out and mine colapses some so im sure that its restricting air. I am about to do the snorkle mods and will order a dj jet kit soon as i can will this stop the colapse or is there a way to beef up the boot so it dont colapse?

I am runnig a stock CDI with the needle set in 2nd from top groove, it has a 175 main jet and a 40 air jet.I have a white bros. e siries pipe and K&N filter when i got this bike it had a ron woods CDI but it was burnt and I didnt realize what it was at the time so i got a stock CDI and when i installed it i had to let the needle down from the third grove. I am good on take off and spitting and sputting in mid and pretty good at hi except for the rev limit.
can anyone help me here?

Old 03-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

Just buy a new one...or look for a newer one in the garage thread...I think in 04 they became reinforced so they wouldn't colapse

Old 03-10-2007, 03:13 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 2005-6 DS 650 baja x with about ten hours on it and am getting ready to install a few upgrades.
1: Big Gun full evo x full exhaust or Yosh rs 3 slip on.
2: Big gun cdi
3: K&N
4: dyno jet kit.

I am also ordering a 15 tooth front sproket just incase.
I run at sea leval most of the time on the dunes. I have been running with 22 inch sandstars on the rear.
I am thinking about the carb mods with the air box on, or should I go air box off? Would there be any other suggestions?

Thank you

Old 03-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Hey omr or anyone else in here I posted this and need some help to clarify when you use these screw or jets or not at all and when you say turn the pilot you don't mean the pilot jet in the carb correct and here is what I posted as a thread.
I just need some help clarifying some of the purposes of the jets and screws on the carb thanks...I know what the main jet, pilot jet, and needle do, but need some help on the others...In the mouth of the carb there is a pilot jet that my book says is a 110 and is on the left side when you are looking into the carb, but what is its purpose and do you use it to tune...also on the right side my book says there is a jet 120 and what does that do etc...and then there is the adjuster screw...I was also told to turn the pilot jet out,but learned I was wrong about that so when a manufacturer of say an exhuast company says turn say 2 turns out which screw do you turn...If anyone can clarify these jets I would appreciate it thanks and I am talking about the carb on the ds650...I just want to clarify so I don't have any more confusion on adjusting carbs and so I know what everything does...Can someone teach me how to tune a carb the right way...Thanks

Quick Reply: Stock Carb Mods - Summary