CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bombardier DS650 won't start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bombardier DS650 won't start when cold

i guess i should update everyone on what happened. I determined what size i needed but they didn't make a shim that thin so we just ordered the thinnest one (2) and it worked out to specs, just barely though. When the owner test drove it he said it was faster than he could've ever thought.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default Bombardier DS650 won't start when cold

mine wouldnt start at all when it was cold unless we pull started it. But then it would run ok for the day. Took it apart to find out why, and melted a piston. But i had advanced the timing on mine. Ran like a bitch till it gave up the ghost. lol....Put an 11.5 to one slug in it....And now i wish i would have done a 14.5 to one. Just my .02 cents

Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

does anyone know about a turbo that i can put on my ds650 if so let me know thanks

Old 03-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default chaging my jet

can anyone tell me what size jet to put i have a slip on alba racing pipe and k&n air filter thanks

Old 03-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Range Rover
Has a DS 800 Turbo Nitrous EFI money eating monster!

For the price you will pay to turbo your DS you can have HPR build you his best go fast motor

Old 09-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default DS 650 won't start

I have a DS in my shop with the same problem. It used to start fine then slowly got more difficult until it had to be pull started the first time. It was starting to smoke so we just put new seals, rings and gaskets in. It will not start at all. It turns over fine and has good spark and compression. I checked the valves and found the exhaust has a .025 gap and the intake had none. I now have a .0015 gap on the intakes but have not replaced the exhaust adjusters. Could the fact that the compression release cam does not even touch be the starting problem. The carb has also been checked a few times and seems fine. I'm at a loss on this one.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Range Rover
Has a DS 800 Turbo Nitrous EFI money eating monster!

adjust your valves to about 6 thousandths

Old 01-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm having a similar issue I have a 2003 DS650 Baja and just had it tuned at my local ATV shop. Oil change, coolant flush, new air filter, plugs, cleaned carb, idle adjustment, compression test and valve clearance to 6 thousandths also a new battery with full charge. I figured it would start easier with all that done and it does but not till it's warm. I'm in New England and it's around freezing and I don't have a heated garage so when I try to start it I turn on the gas & pull out the choke and try but it takes like 15minutes of trying to start it to finally kick in. When I press the start button it just makes its normal starter sound I only hold the button for about 3-4seconds at a time I heard longer than that can burn out the starter. What it also does sometimes is when I'm pressing the start button and it's trying to start it stops and all I hear is a spinning sound, example I press the start button it tries starting dadadadadada - then-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, lol. Could that be the starter going? what else can I do to try and get it to start easier in cold weather. I posted here because of similar issues hope you guys solved your problems and could maybe help me out with some tips. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Choke Working?

Maybe your choke is not working right. Sometimes the plunger in carb gets stuck and will not move. Spray a little gas in carb and then try it if it starts check the plunger. You might want to try some new plugs also.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

My choke is a little tough to get all the way out, it comes out like 1/2 way then I have to pull it again to get the choke completely out. The thing is that it makes a spinning sound when starting some say its the starter some say its the flywheel. Not sure which and don't wanna blow money on something its not. Is there a way to upload audio so someone can hear what it sounds like when I try and start it when its cold?

Quick Reply: Bombardier DS650 won't start when cold