CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bombardier DS650 won't start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my ds being cold.....had to pull start it.....but once it got warmed up it was fine....One of our friends told us it was a valve problem....so got home. tore it down and checked the valves and sure enough. the intake valve was almost completely closed. the smallest feeler gauge we had would bareley fit. So we got the shims out and changed and now it starts perfectly (no choke) when its cold....its most likely a valve adjustment problem. (and im pretty sure if a couple hillbillies like us (my dad and me) can do it.....any Johnny quad owner can do it with the rite tools and a little instruction.)

Old 09-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help please......

I just bought a 2000 ds 650 baja off a guy the battery was bad and he parked it outside in the winter. It snows here for months. He didn't drain the fuel out and it wound up in the crankcase.i drained the tank the crankcase cleaned filter out used bleeder screw and new oil filter. Put 2 new plugs in it that are both firing. Flushed coolant put new. I'm using my battery out of my king quad 450. When it is cold j have to lay on the ignition switch with the throttle wide open for a minute without letting off and it will start picking up and then will fire up. At that point I can take off riding and everytime I stop it will fire back up no problem. After I ride about 5 minutes the oil light will either come on but more recently it just lights so dim you can hardly see it. Even though it runs it seems to not have much power at all. It doesn't smoke or anything. I sometimes run the battery dead starting it but once it starts and runs it will fire right up. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hope I done this right I'm new to this.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a 2000 ds 650 baja off a guy the battery was bad and he parked it outside in the winter. It snows here for months. He didn't drain the fuel out and it wound up in the crankcase.i drained the tank the crankcase cleaned filter out used bleeder screw and new oil filter. Put 2 new plugs in it that are both firing. Flushed coolant put new. I'm using my battery out of my king quad 450. When it is cold j have to lay on the ignition switch with the throttle wide open for a minute without letting off and it will start picking up and then will fire up. At that point I can take off riding and everytime I stop it will fire back up no problem. After I ride about 5 minutes the oil light will either come on but more recently it just lights so dim you can hardly see it. Even though it runs it seems to not have much power at all. It doesn't smoke or anything. I sometimes run the battery dead starting it but once it starts and runs it will fire right up. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!