CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2003 Traxter Max MPEM Fuse Keeps Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Traxter Max MPEM Fuse Keeps Blowing

I'm having a problem with the MPEM (Multi-Purpose Electronic Module) Fuse Blowing. I recently replaced the battery and replaced the plugs. It started fine and then the next weekend it started blowing the 20 amp fuse. When I turn the key to the ON position the fuse will blow and no indicator lights flash on the dashboard. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Just put on new tires and haven't been able to test them out.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the process of repairing a Bombardier MPEM for a 2002 Traxter for a local bike shop. I do various kinds of electrical and electronic repairs for this customer, and they contacted me when the repair shop reached a dead-end on the electrical problem, and the cost of a new MPEM was prohibitive.

If you still have the old MPEM, and you can confirm the same symptoms, I may be able to repair the module economically. Send me a private message if you are interested.

The blowing fuse problem is caused by a shorted diode. The customer was "boosting" the Traxter due do a bad battery. It started and ran a short time with the lights flickering (due to the short). The next attempt to start it failed. If the fuse is replaced with the standard size, it blows when the ignition switch (key) is turned on. If the fuse is replaced with a 30 amp (careful here... this was done with an external battery and jumper cables, which likely limit the possibility of dammage due to over current) there is a faint ticking sound. This is the result of an oscillation caused by the key turning on a transistor, switching on power to the circuit with the shorted diode. The short caused the voltage to drop, switching off the transistor, removing the short, which causes the voltage to rise again, and the cycle repeats.

If you have a Traxter, I suggest you don't *ever* try to start it from another vehicle with the engine running. I believe the shorted diode is a result of "boosting", where the running vehicle's alternator overshoots the voltage at the instant you stop cranking the Traxter, frying the MPEM. Jump starting from a nother battery, possibly in a vehicle, should be OK though.

The following users liked this post:
Robster1969 (04-16-2020)
Old 12-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2003 Traxter Max MPEM Fuse Keeps Blowing"></title><script src=

I ended up purchasing a new MPEM Chip. That fixed the problem. A $1300 part. I've never tried to jump start my wheeler from another vehicle at all. It just happened to go out. I'll keep that in mind if it ever happens again. How long does it take you to refurbish the chip?

Old 12-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes a couple days, since use of solvent is required to remove some of the rubber-like potting compound.

I'd be interested in the old module if you still have it around. Since it's blowing the fuse only when you turn the key ON, it sounds very much like the problem I have been able to repair.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Question MPEM Repair

I don't know if this thread is still active, since I am posting seven months after the last post, but I have the exact same problem, and I don't want to have to pay 1300 dollars for a part. Edgecase, could you email me @ josiah.b@live.com if you could repair the part?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Traxter shorting out

Hi, I read your reply, below, to another forum member regarding the recurring short on the Bombardier Traxter. I am having the same problem. I believe I have traced it to the flat black box behind the handle bars, but am not sure if this is the MPEM. When I unplug the box I don't have a short. Someone has told me it could be a celenoid. Is there a celenoid that would cause a direct short like this. Any suggestions? Thanks

Originally Posted by edgecase
I am in the process of repairing a Bombardier MPEM for a 2002 Traxter for a local bike shop. I do various kinds of electrical and electronic repairs for this customer, and they contacted me when the repair shop reached a dead-end on the electrical problem, and the cost of a new MPEM was prohibitive.

If you still have the old MPEM, and you can confirm the same symptoms, I may be able to repair the module economically. Send me a private message if you are interested.

The blowing fuse problem is caused by a shorted diode. The customer was "boosting" the Traxter due do a bad battery. It started and ran a short time with the lights flickering (due to the short). The next attempt to start it failed. If the fuse is replaced with the standard size, it blows when the ignition switch (key) is turned on. If the fuse is replaced with a 30 amp (careful here... this was done with an external battery and jumper cables, which likely limit the possibility of dammage due to over current) there is a faint ticking sound. This is the result of an oscillation caused by the key turning on a transistor, switching on power to the circuit with the shorted diode. The short caused the voltage to drop, switching off the transistor, removing the short, which causes the voltage to rise again, and the cycle repeats.

If you have a Traxter, I suggest you don't *ever* try to start it from another vehicle with the engine running. I believe the shorted diode is a result of "boosting", where the running vehicle's alternator overshoots the voltage at the instant you stop cranking the Traxter, frying the MPEM. Jump starting from a nother battery, possibly in a vehicle, should be OK though.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Exclamation MPEM fuse repair question

Again, the same problem. I have a 2004 Traxter Max MPEM problem. If this thread is still active, I'm looking to see if anyone can repair my MPEM as well.

Anyone out there have a source for new ones less than the overpriced retail?

Old 10-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default MPEM short

My problem was a short in the box of the MPEM from jump starting the 4-wheeler with another 12 volt system such as a car. Do not do this, it shorts the MPEM out. I found the MPEM online at Babbittsonline.com for $967. That was the best price I could find and I searched everywhere for it. Good luck, let me know if you need anything else.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

I;ve killed my MPEM also through jumping.

Does anyone have valid contact details for 'edgecase' for a repair?

Or another option other than new at $1k?

Thanks

Old 04-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default mpem

also 20 amp fuse keeps blowing as soon as i change is it my mpem also ?

Quick Reply: 2003 Traxter Max MPEM Fuse Keeps Blowing