CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Looking at 08 400 Max XT. Sold Polaris would like

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 08 400 Max XT. Sold Polaris would like

I just sold my 2000 Polaris 500 HO Remington edition. It was a pretty good machine. I'm looking to replace it with either a 400 Max XT or 500EFI Polaris Touring. The polaris machine is close to the one I had only EFI. I do not know much about the Can Am I did look at both machines at a dealer tonight. I'm leaning towards the Can Am but would like to hear what others have to say about them.

The 08 the dealer has left is 400 Carb not EFI not sure if that really makes a big difference or not. The dealer says the 400 Can Am is more powerful that the Polaris 500. I'm looking for a good two up machine that i can ride with my kids, and plow the drive way with.

Thanks for the replys.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 07 500 max xt and is it a MULE !!! I live 700+ fet off of my road and plow with a 60 inch moose county blade. I stillhave fun, even here in Michigan. Oh yea.... my driveway dips LOW and drifts bad I hve no complaints on the power issur, i'm sure the 400 will b just fine... is the 400 a twin rotax?? if so dont worry about power. ok the bad stuff... too much technology built into the computer system. your dealer can tell almost everything you do to your machine as far as rpm ranges and averages. My 500 runs HOT. not engine hot, but summer time riding is very hot on the legs. I either put my legs really wide or use the front rack like highway pegs on a harley. computer tells you to service soon at 10 hours and then every 50 hours after that & i think dealer needs to reset computer for like 40 bucks a pop. online manuals are available on ebay for around 12 bucks to get you around deaer resets. other than the Heet & the computer, the can ams are very impressive to me. i definatly like it better than the polaris 330 4 x 4 i had new in 03.... hope i helped !

Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

i almost forgot.. VERY smooth ride too. my seat is super comfortable and the suspension is very plush... visco lock is better that all four all the time like on a polars too

Old 03-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. The 400 that I'm looking at is single cylinder carb model not an EFI. The later 08 models and new 09 400 are EFI. My brother in law works at a dealer ship that sells Honda, Polaris and Can AM. According to my brother in law the 400 carb model had alot of problems that is why Can AM no longer makes them and this model is priced so reasonalbe compaired to others. I'm not sure if there is any truth to this or not.

I have heard from others that the Can AM ride real good and the 4 wheel frive set up is awsome. I have not had the chance to ride on yet and the one I'm looking at is the last one at this price so I think if i'm going to buy it I better move quick.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Range Rover

I have the 2005 400 XT standard. If you are going to do a lot of plowing I would actually look at something a little bigger. The 400 will do it, but I had to push it harder than I like with the thick, heavy wet stuff. Otherwise I have not had any real problems with mine and we have over 1200 miles on it. I had to replace the spark plug a couple times and do my oil changes. I think I am due to have the valve clearances checked, but you will have that no matter what you buy.

Not sure if speed is an issue for you... but the Polaris 500 will sneak by the Outty 400.

Ride wise, I can't tell you by personally... I hear the Polaris is a little more softer ride, but I can ride mine all day long and it is smoother than the King Quads.

Personally I like the mechanics of the Can Am over the Polaris. Sorry Polaris riders... But Polaris would be one of the last ATV's I would consider.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

No offense taken sargentHP. Can Am would be one of the last ATV's I would consider.
Different strokes for different folks. It ain't what you ride, it's that you ride.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

I would pick EFI over carb any day.
The 400 CA runs good but not as powerful as your 500 was.
CA visco lock works well for mild fast riding, the Polaris awd works better every where else. Polaris is built heavy duty.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!
Default Outy 400

I had the 05 Outlander MAX XT, which was a carb model, and it always started, even in the freezing cold winter. (You just have to make sure NOT to touch the throttle when starting, or you will disengage the automatic choke.) Also, it had loads of power for plowing with a 60" blade, and was great on the trails. The 2-up MAX, by the way, has about the softest passenger ride you could ever imagine. So, if you can get a deal, take it. (Someone on this forum was offered one for $5300 OTD - wow!)

I now have the 650 with fuel injection and paid about $12K Canadian OTD (roughly $9500 U.S.), but I frankly don't really notice much of a difference, perhaps because I don't really push the machine to the max, or race others, or anything like that.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just purchased the 2009 Outlander Max XT 400EFI so can't really comment on that yet since it has 0 miles.

My buddy has the same machine except it is a 2006 Carb model. He loves it and his wife really likes riding as the passenger. It has been gererally reliable with the only issues have been condensation in dash, tires that leaked from day-one, and a weird brake noise if the brakes got wet. I think he has well over 2000 kilometers on it.

I drove his before making my purchase and it is very easy to steer, very comfortable, and the longer wheelbase seems to help it feel more even more stable than a regular 1-up. As for power his Outlander felt much stronger the the Arctic Cat 400 1-up I was riding.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!

Now that you mention it, I did have to replace my speedo unit (under warranty), and I had to put tubes in the front tires because of leaking. (Tubes are a good idea anyway, because it is easy to break the bead on the front tires with only 5-8 PSI or so in them.) Another problem (which I also have with the new '09) is that the warn winch would give me grief sometimes, not coming in when I was plowing snow. (Going out was always OK.) This only happened when the wheels were turned fully to the left, but on my new one it happens intermittently, regardless of where the wheels are turned.