CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ds650 Carburator Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb issues

Im Dave....Daves Buddy.. Anyhow the more i think about it....I wondering if we dont have an air leak on the thing. When idling if you pull the choke....the idle revs up not dies. I sent the valve clearance when we put it back together....What a pain in the *** if i may say. I have already tried adjusting the choke cable to know effect. Like Dave B said....it just cranks and cranks even with the choke on (when its cold) And after the longest time if you hold the throttle wide open it will start (almost like its flooded)

Old 04-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

Make sure the intake boot is attached and sealed to the carb and the intake. Also, make sure you didnt forget to put the rubber o-rings back in the intake (between the intake and the head). If not, make sure one of the o-rings isnt getting pinched.

But if your cam timing is off one tooth, that could make for some weird things. Make sure your sealed up good around your carb and intake, and then pop the valve cover off, put your tdc pin in and check the cam timing. After that, you could also try putting your old carb back on and see if that changes anything.

Are you sure the entire rag came all the way out and isnt stuck in your exhaust some where? What the air intake system (filter, snorkel tube, air box)? Is it getting the proper air flow? Is the filter clean?

Old 04-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

I have to ask this one also. When everything got thrown off, did the valves and piston hit???

The other thing would be that I would change plugs right now and try that first. If they are going bad once it warms up the cylindar temp would make it start easier

Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default carb

Ds has a kn air filter. Went though carb and cleaned all passages. When he first brought it to me the valves had hit the piston and where bent. Replaced valves and had the seats lap/ground for the new ones . As far as the rag is all out of the intake/ head area. We have not pulled the super trapp out of the end of the exhaust to make sure that non of the rag is still in there.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Clean that exhaust out, that could be part of the issue since the airway may be blocked up bad. And it is also possible that the crank was bent when it hent the valves, and that can cause hard starts.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

A weak sator can also cause this problem and bombadier sleds are know to have weak stators that cause this as well.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

How about the CDI. Mine is currently bad(I'm pretty sure) and has been going out for a while. It has similar problems to what your describing. Mine has a hard time starting and bogs. I put my stock CDI back on and it ran great. Go figure. Maybe you could check that out.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

Ok so i finally got a chance to tinker with it today, pulled the super trap off and there was no t shirt left in the pipe but what i did find was the packing was completely blown out. Im not sure if that would cause any of the issues im having but non the less it needs replaced. Im leaning against the CDI being the root of the problem because in never bogged mid range untill after the shirt incident. Even today at 65-70 degrees out it still took a bit to get going. Im still at a loss. I tested for an air leak and that came back with nothing. Running out of ideas here lol. Any more help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Old 04-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

Also i forgot to mention... it doesnt seem like the choke is working. It makes no difference when trying to start it if the choke is on or off. i just doesnt want to start but it will eventually start with choke or no choke. but... when the bike is running at an idle and i pull the choke it revs up... like its working. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave

Old 04-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

See if it starts right up if you take the boot from the carb to the air box off and squirt some gas into the carb's bowl. Also try taking the carb out and checking the Idle jet, that was the problem with mine, gas line was a bit cruddy and the idle jet was plugged.

And remember that you have to push the choke 100% in to make it turn off, when I first got mine we were having problems with the choke.

Quick Reply: Ds650 Carburator Issues.