CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

02 ds650 timing chain and tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 ds650 timing chain and tensioner

hey guys im new here but i have been around powersports all my life. my family used to own a brp,suzuki, ktm dealer so thats where i would get all my parts. but now i dont know where to get parts cheap lol

so far i need a timing chain, a timing chain tenioner and a complete gasket where is the best place to get that stuff?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Range Rover
when your holding the football - people will throw evrything they can at you to strip it away .... including the waterboy at the end of the bench.

Probably your closest dealer.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Some of the better places that most of us have found over the years are Parker Yamaha, Parket AZ, Proshop Motorsprts and Marine in Henderson NV, BikeBandit has been good for some.
Best thing to do is Google the DS OEM fiche and compare the prices of those that come up. Temecula Motorsports is another that comes to mind.
Doesn't hurt to tell them that so and so has it for this price, can you meet or beat it if I get the rest of the parts from you. Most will work with you if they feel they are going to get your business, especially with the market like it is now.
If you fine any cheaper than those listed please post them so that we can all give them our business.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok so it sounds like a dealer or bike bandit then lol

what is the tensioner supposed to be like on these things? i cant figure out how mine would be able to tension anything since there is no spring behind it or amy way put pressure on it unless its a a 2 peice thats seized up. its been to long since i have messed with one so im kinda relearning these rotax motors

Old 05-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

It's oil operated. If you squeeze the hell out of it you should get some oil coming out. They are normally very hard by hand but you can squeeze the two ends towards eachother.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

i can see that it looks like it supposed to be 2 parts but it seems to be fully compressed and the chain was loose when i pulled the valve cover

Old 05-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Range Rover
when your holding the football - people will throw evrything they can at you to strip it away .... including the waterboy at the end of the bench.

Press in on the ball bearing down in the center of the housing with a small tool while squeezing on the assembly & see what happens - it may be seized if it has sat for a while, but this procedure restores 95% of "bad" tensioners.

I do this after each removal & bleed all the oil out of them so they become very easy to compress with just a couple of fingers -- upon reinstallation and oil circulation they will pump back up (very quickly) and maintain proper tension.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Cam Tensioner

I know this is years late but hopefully it will help other people in the future. My issue was I started up my DS the other day and it was making a clank clank type noise, but only at idle. When you would rev it up the sound almost disappeared. Took the valve cover off checked valves everything seemed ok. Changed the oil in it and no metal was found. So I tried pulling the chain tensioner and mine was completley compressed. I ended up ordering a new one "and there is a part change with a redesign for it" and after the 1min. swap it started knocking again for a good 3 seconds and then like magic she was quiet! Hope this helps before any of you start overhauling that rotax motor