CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

special tools for maintenance on the DS650

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default special tools for maintenance on the DS650

Well I got my service manual and now need to find a source for the special tools required for maintenance. Looks like the first tool I will need is a crankshaft locking bolt, P/N 529 035 617, where can I find one, or is there a DIY alternative, like a simple modified bolt?

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

You can make one. Here's a link to make your own from the BMW F650 guys:

F650 TDC Bolt FAQ

Old 08-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

If you do a search of this forum you will find that this has been covered many many times before. In the threads you will find that we have posted links and instructions alike on how to make the TDC bolt for a cost to you of about .45.
Enjoy your new ride. The maintenance can be half the fun on the DS!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks alot guys, I had tried searching but I was searching for the actual name that was in the manual, but I found alot of links when I searched for TDC bolt. LOL I just need to get up to speed with the acronyms, LOL I will make one up tomorrow and check the valve clearance.

Also I had some noise in the valvetrain and searched around and found some info regarding the cam chain tensioner. So I pulled it out and it wouldnt compress at all unless I pressed the checkball(is that normal?) cleaned it out and reinstalled the tensioner, seems to have reduced the noise a fair amount, I guess the rest may be a valve clearance issue as I dont even know the last time it was even checked. I take it the shims are available from the stealership?

Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

I made a TDC bolt the other day(it was VERY easy to make) to do my valve adjustment on the 02' DS650 Baja I just bought. It was running, but not very well. After adjusting the valves it ran a little better, but the carb needed some serious attention as it was all gummed up with deposits and some debris in the float bowl, the choke never closed and all the jet's were clogged massively. She now runs like a raped ape!

I hear some noise's that are not valvetrain related, but seems to be in the lower end and is louder on the mag side, I am not sure if it is a normal operation noise or not as there is no one else with a DS around to compare it to, is there anything I should check out? I do plan on a teardown this winter.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

These do have quite loud and noisy motors. Alot of us had these same concerns when we first got our pigs. Best thing to do is check your timing chain adjuster, if it's good then I wouldn't worry about what sounds like a bunch of rattling around to someone not used to it.
Another place that gets noisy, and as you noted is on the mag side, is the chain roller!
Has driven folks crazy trying to figure out where the noise is coming from...

Old 08-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

LOL, yeah it does have some noise to her, but runs fine. I was just out in the garage and running my Polaris Magnum that I had put a Four Stroke Tech 628 kit in and the noise is almost identical, must be the ball style bearings that transmit the mechanical noise from the rotating assembly into the engine case vrs the isolation of a oil film babbitt style bearing.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer

Well my Dynojet kit arrived and I installed the needle in the second groove with the 175 main jet. Last night I drilled the slide for the extra holes per the Carb mod thread as well as modding the intake tubes. All I have to say it is a night and day difference. The DS used to simply lighten the front wheels and never really would pull them up without some help, now they pop right up when the midrange hits. Throttle response is great, couldnt be happier!

Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only other thing I have come accoss that is handy is the special tool for holding the big lock nut on the rear axle. Don't think it was more then 20 buck from the dealer.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

I discovered that the internals of my stock muffler had been already modified, there is only the two outlet stubs left on the inside of the end cap.

I had heard that this is almost as good as most slip-on type mufflers, is that true?

Quick Reply: special tools for maintenance on the DS650