CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.
View Poll Results: Outlander DPS issues- select year.
DPS Issue 2010
0%
DPS Issue 2011
66.67%
DPS Issue 2012
33.33%
DPS Issue 2013
0%
DPS Issue other years
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

DPS issues on new outlanders- Poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:19 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IronBear
I've owned both a 2010 Can Am 800XT Max and now the 2012 Outlander 1000XT, and knock on wood, never had an issue with the DPS. The only issue I have had on the 1000 was a sticky brake switch that was covered under warrantee, and a rattling exhaust heat shield, which I think I fixed over the weekend.

I had the same heat shield rattle on my 08 800 xt- but not on the rest of'em.

I sent a few emails to various can-am execs asking about the overheating issue- and why I can't get any answer as to why it's going on 4 weeks for my new outlander waiting on a replacement dps motor
I don't expect to get a response but, I figured it couldn't hurt either.

There's already 21 members on the other site alone with the dps over heating issue!

I was reading up on how the can-am dps works on a forum that was started at another web site- it's very interesting and not what i thought.

the motor has a constant positive voltage charge, and depending on left or right assistance, the voltage on one side is lessened to the degree (min or max) for assistance which allows the other side to "push"... so, bars center with no assistance being called would look like this in terms of voltage-

+12/+12

turn to the right- I guess the charge looks like this:

+12/+8 ( or 7,6,5.....)

I guess this makes the dps very responsive- but it also heats the motor up big time. They beef up the stator to compensate for the dps voltage.

this is how I understood it (in a nutshell) anyway...

Old 08-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just based on your poll, and figuring in the number of people that own Can Am ATVs that dont come on these forums, it looks to me like Can Am is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars replacing power steering units.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

some more info on the dps issue guys-

looks like a software update-

"CHECK DPS" MESSAGE - can-am ATV Forums - can-amtalk.com

I also have it posted at the can-am site...

already have 34 can-am owners with dps issues in my thread here...

2 more new outlanders with DPS issues!!! Poll - Page 3 - Can-Am ATV Forum

Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

I'm about to buy the 2012 or 2013 can am renegade 1000 XXC
Is there any difference between the two years and after reading all this, should I not buy it anymore?

Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by Pforthec420
I'm about to buy the 2012 or 2013 can am renegade 1000 XXC
Is there any difference between the two years and after reading all this, should I not buy it anymore?
totally different redesigned units.
I believe your rene will have tri-mode dps.

after they replaced the unit (under warranty) its been problem free and working perfectly.

go buy that rene!!!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

Sweet thanks beergut
I really want this thing, the minute I heard the renegade 1000xxc is a quad that can beat my YFZ, that says a lot, I was sold instantly... Not to mention it's muddin capabilities
I can't effin wait!!!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:19 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by Pforthec420
Sweet thanks beergut
I really want this thing, the minute I heard the renegade 1000xxc is a quad that can beat my YFZ, that says a lot, I was sold instantly... Not to mention it's muddin capabilities
I can't effin wait!!!
it's an absolute monster atv- top of the food chain as far as atv's go.
my rene 800 was a wheelie (throw you right off the back) machine- you wont even notice the almost 700 lb atv under you- it's so nimble & quick you'd swear you were riding a sport quad!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

I'm excited.. I know they wheelie easy, but I was wondering 2 things..
1. Does the renegade 1000 XXC have an easy capibality to "whip or fishtail" around tight corners and also do donuts in the dirt like my YFZ's? My YFZ you can literally keep the front inside tire stationary doing countless donuts, how does the Rene react to that? Is it too big to do such things and take turns "sideways"?
2. Are they available or capable in manual transmissions? I know it comes with an automatic 3 speed but was wondering if it can come with or have the capability with a manual transmission, or is the stock transmission the best thing for it and how do you like the whole automatic thing? Does it affect highly aggressive riding at all?
Iv never had any kind of automatic vehicle before

Old 04-06-2013, 09:34 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

they will fishtale simply by bliping the throttle- they will go sideways just be releasing the throttle zipping down a dirt road because the engine brake works so well- and I've personally done a half dozen donets and was spun so quickly it toss me from the atv and I rolled it :0

the only thing that won't be so easy is catching 20' of air like you can do on your sporty- other than that- you'll wonder why you waited do long to buy a can-am rene 1000!

for your viewing enjoyment

Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by beergut
they will fishtale simply by bliping the throttle- they will go sideways just be releasing the throttle zipping down a dirt road because the engine brake works so well- and I've personally done a half dozen donets and was spun so quickly it toss me from the atv and I rolled it :0

the only thing that won't be so easy is catching 20' of air like you can do on your sporty- other than that- you'll wonder why you waited do long to buy a can-am rene 1000!

for your viewing enjoyment

Thanks a bunch!! I appreciate your answers.. And that video, sick dude, I can't even explain my level of jealousy and how anxious I am to get one!! I can't wait!! And yes your right lol I already can't believe iv waited this long, iv never seen nor heard of this quad till just 2 weeks ago! Wish I seen it sooner