CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

should I? outty 1000

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you're going to be in a lot of rocky areas skid plates are a good investment. I would recommend Ricochet. They are better than the Can-Am ones unless Can-Am has made them thicker than they used to.

Congratulations. It is hard not to smile when you're out riding.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats! definetly some skids as moose has said!

Old 05-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Moose! What oil do you run in yours? I am going to take it back to the dealer for the first service to have it looked over very well but would like to do my own service after that. From what I can find people are saying synthetic oil and it doesn't need to be ATV oil because the transmission is not in the oil....is this true?

Old 05-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

it should be a ATV/motorcycle 4 stroke oil. i am running amsoil, bought the k&n filters from amazon.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

do you like the k&N filters better?

Old 05-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

i just purcahsed them because of the price...i know not the best thing. Ive been using them on my Harley, on that i like them as they come with a nut on the end for easier removal. I think i paid $20 for 3 canam filter from amazon.

My daughter just bought teh oil change kit from the dealer for her rene, i could tell you tomorrow what brand oil is in it. Im pretty sure canam isnt like Harley and polaris, rebadging oil with their name.

Would i use K&N on my $60k truck...NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! the truck i use Napa Gold or Baldwin only.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:07 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lafn

Any tips on this quad would be great!
thanks again to everyone for the advise!

Don't wear shorts!

Take a look through some of my albums- I've owned about 7 outlander 800's. Lots of pics.
Wonderful machines thanks to the legendary rotax engine and the tti rear.
Every can am creaks and whines like a turbine- make sure you grease those zerks every now and then! Normalities with the outty are things like tti bushings creaking, blistering skin on your left leg, whirling sound from the cvt box, brakes that chatter, rocking it back & forth to shift.... Also the rider may suffer from facial cramps (from constant grinning) thumb cramps from stuffing the throttle around every tight corner and over every bump

The outlander is leagues above the grizzly you used to ride

Congrats on the new outty 800!

Shouldahh bought the 1000!

Old 05-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks so much for the info Beergut, what would be the first thing you would do to a new outlander?

Old 05-28-2014, 07:38 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lafn
Thanks so much for the info Beergut, what would be the first thing you would do to a new outlander?

27 or 28" tires, grip & thumb warmers, low profile rack bag...

I don't run skids because it was 1/2 the price to fully insure my atv against all damage- and I seldom bottom out with the 28" mega meyhams and 2" spring compressors.

I don't bother messing with fuel & exhaust systems because I don't feel the $$ justifies the end gain- and I feel rotax engineers have the fuel & exhaust aspects worked out best for how I ride... And loud exhausts just **** me off.

If you plan on spending a lot of time in deep water (over the seat) or mudding- I'd suggest snorkels and a good water proofing of all wire connectors.

My outty cost too much for me to bother dicking around with unknown oils and lubes- I use 100% can-am. I don't care if it's rebranded or whatever.... If it says can-am on the label, then I know it will work 100% of the time in my machine.

Keep the rad clean with a #40 or 25 powerwasher tip and you'll never have any overheating issues. A hose wont cut it if you're riding in mud.

Keep the air filter clean. I use stock can am filters. Rotax engineers know their engines better than anyone else- I trust their choice when it comes to replacement oil & air filters...

Old 05-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

I use Honda gn4 synthetic blend oil and belray waterproof grease in the grease fittings but that's because I buy all my atv/dirt bike chemicals from the honda dealer. I've used this combo on my Outty for years(08 650xt) and my brother has been doing the same with his renny 1000 and they seem to like it but can't go wrong with factory can am oil

Quick Reply: should I? outty 1000