CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My new Oulander L 500

Old 08-29-2014, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new Oulander L 500

Hi all

I've purchased a new Outlander L 500 two day ago and have put 127 miles on it so far...great machine. I'm new to ATVs but not to motorsports. I've owned lots of bikes and snowmobiles over the past 40 some odd years and have done all of my own wrenching on them. I'm far from being a pro mechanic but I really enjoy the inner workings of machines as much as riding them.

I've test riden several brands and have noticed one common factor...gear whine, especially at higher speeds. I figure it comes from staight cut gears in the tranny...am I right? What about the diffs, are they also straight cut? I've tested Cats and Polaris and watched a video on the Grizzly and could hear it whining also. Are the Hondas with manual trans without a sub tranny any quieter?

I may be buying a 2nd machine next spring and am looking for a quieter one.

Looking forward to your answers and expertise.

Skidoo Grampa

Old 08-29-2014, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the new machine. Those L's look like solid machines

The cvt whine/high rev is my #1 complaint about them. No switching into a higher gear to bring the rpms back down. Honda is the only company that doesn't use the rubber belt style CVT. They are a lot quiter, especially once you get going.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by HondaR24
Congrats on the new machine. Those L's look like solid machines

The cvt whine/high rev is my #1 complaint about them. No switching into a higher gear to bring the rpms back down. Honda is the only company that doesn't use the rubber belt style CVT. They are a lot quiter, especially once you get going.
Thanks Rancher

I also don't like that high speed engine reving on most other brands that I tested and thats one of the main reason why I chose this model. It was smooth and wasn't high reving all the time. My concern is rather in the mechanical geared tranmission. Im guessing the whine is due to straight cut gears. I was wondering if the Rincon or manual geared Hondas without a hi/low sub trans. are free of overall gear whine?

Thanks,
Skidoo Grampa

Old 08-31-2014, 08:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they all make that whining sound, I owned a Yamaha Grizzly 660 and it did the same thing in high range at higher speeds. The belt is just going to make a certain amount of noise, especially the faster you go. I watched a video of a new Kawasaki Brute Force and every time the throttle was applied, you hear that whining too. I guess its just something you have to live with if you want the ease and convenience of a cvt auto trans. You would probably hear all kinds of stuff in your car or truck if you weren't in an enclosed cabin and manufacturers didn't try to make them quieter with sound deadening materials and tighter fitting body panels and such.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:18 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Are the Hondas with manual trans without a sub tranny any quieter?
Honda has not used a sub tranny in their 5 speed foot shifters since the early 90s they just have what they call a super low 1st gear rather then a dedicated low range sub tranny, Yamaha also did the same on the Big Bear . I think its a cost saving thing.

I never notice this whine on my SP500 or 350 Grizzly. I just borrowed my friends 660 Grizzly this week end and did not notice it as well.

I do ride with a helmet so not much noise of any kind really get through to the ears.

You would think the CVT on a ATV would be quiterr on a ATV since its enclosed in a water tight housing and not out in the open air like on our snowmobiles.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys

I guess I'll just have to test ride different brands/models 'till I find something that fulfills my needs...that's the beauty of being retired!

Other than the whining issue, I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase.

I have a feeling that once my wife tries the Outlander she'll only want to ride it instead of whichever machine we'll get next. She's done it before so I'd better choose one that I can live with!

I think I'll test the new Honda trx 500 Foreman foot shift and Rubicon foot shift with long travel IRS. My wife refuses to drive/ride anything with a manual gearbox sooo... this one would be ALL MINE, buahahaaaa...

Skidoo Grampa

Old 09-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Can-Am has the loudest CVT transmission out there. A good bit louder than any machine I've been on. But the power per cc is hard to beat. I just tell people it's the turbo kicking in.

Congratulations on your new ride, too. The 500 Rotax is one of the best engines out there in my mind. Great gas mileage, power on par with some of the 700's out there, and not too much power that you have to be very careful in turns.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Can-Am has the loudest CVT transmission out there. A good bit louder than any machine I've been on. But the power per cc is hard to beat. I just tell people it's the turbo kicking in.

Congratulations on your new ride, too. The 500 Rotax is one of the best engines out there in my mind. Great gas mileage, power on par with some of the 700's out there, and not too much power that you have to be very careful in turns.
Hi MooseHenden

I'm very impressed with the fuel economy and total tank range. I've tested a few other machines and this one seems to have it all with the exception of drivetrain noise. Maybe it's just me. I was so busy have a blast on it yesterday that I'm getting used to it and/or accepting it. I could hardly hear it over my school girl like giggles.

You're also right about the power in turns...it's just right for some sliding without being too much.

I give this machine a very high mark and recommend it .

Skidoo Grampa

Old 09-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by skidoogrampa
Hi MooseHenden

I'm very impressed with the fuel economy and total tank range. I've tested a few other machines and this one seems to have it all with the exception of drivetrain noise. Maybe it's just me. I was so busy have a blast on it yesterday that I'm getting used to it and/or accepting it. I could hardly hear it over my school girl like giggles.

You're also right about the power in turns...it's just right for some sliding without being too much.

I give this machine a very high mark and recommend it .

Skidoo Grampa
I like the 650 in the Outlander Max for the same reason. It's got plenty of power, pretty good gas mileage, but not so much power in the corners that it lightens the front end and causes understeer.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:37 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Going by you name "Skidoo Grampa" I take it your into sleds. Any ATV is great on gas compared to a sled.

I call ATVs with CVTs just snowmobiles on wheels but with a detuned motor.
50-70hp is considered big power on ATVs but just a entry level power rating in the snowmobile world.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new Oulander L 500