CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Any reason not to convert thumb throttle to twist grip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Skywoolf
Its taken me three months to stop trying to use the left side brake lever as a clutch.
Must have taken a little while before you quit stomping around on the left floorboard looking for the gear shift pedal too..

Old 02-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes for a while I would back off the throttle while trying to pull in the clutch using the brake and my left foot groping around to change down.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:37 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter86
This is not true, I have had thumb throttles freeze before. If anything, a dual cabled cabled system like you would find on certain dirt bikes would be less likely to stick open, as you "pull" the carb slide up and down. Water or condensation in the cable is an issue no matter what style throttle you have.
I never had one of my sleds thumb throttles freeze if parked outside even parked uncovered under 2ft of snow. I quess that's why snowmachines only use thumb throttles 100%.

I left a Street bike out all winter "covered" and tried to start it and the throttle would not snap back on its own. There is just to much contact surface area between the twist grip and bar for moisture to get in behind and freeze.
The throttle cable was sure not what was freezing up.

ATVs have snowmobile type throttle because some people actually use their ATV for ice fishing around here.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
I never had one of my sleds thumb throttles freeze if parked outside even parked uncovered under 2ft of snow. I quess that's why snowmachines only use thumb throttles 100%.

I left a Street bike out all winter "covered" and tried to start it and the throttle would not snap back on its own. There is just to much contact surface area between the twist grip and bar for moisture to get in behind and freeze.
The throttle cable was sure not what was freezing up.

ATVs have snowmobile type throttle because some people actually use their ATV for ice fishing around here.
I live in western New York, been riding here almost 30 years. I have had numerous atv thumb throttles freeze and stick. I never got into sleds much, but I have a feeling they are better protected from the elements than many atv throttles. Doesn't sound like an issue for the op.

On a side note, I run throttle extenders on my race machines. Moose makes a fairly cheap bolt on model that should work. I have used it and while it looks a little clunky, works fine.