CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Crankshaft Key (woodruff)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 09:48 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crankshaft Key (woodruff)

Ok Boys need your Help of this one. Can't say I have ever seen this , never mind twice. Started a couple of days ago I was going to do a service on the wife's DS (2005). Fired it up and was going to let it warm up. It stalled and I couldn't get it to start, just back fired a couple of times. I was back at it today and it sounded like the timing was off. I pulled the exhaust and side cover. When I removed the flywheel I found the Woodruff key was sheared off and the flywheel moved about an inch. The timing was out and causing my no start. My other DS motor is apart so I installed the key from that motor. It started right up. Did the service and let it run for a fair bit of time after the service. Went for a rip this afternoon and about a half hour into my ride I lugged it coming over a little hill and it stalled. I knew right away the way it stalled and sounded, it happened again. It wouldn't restart, just back fired. Took me a couple of hours to push it back to the road so that the wife could tow me home. I haven't pulled it apart again but it sound the same as it did the last time. What would cause an engine to shear off 2 keys. It does have an aftermarket box for Ron Woods on it. It has always shut off like a dodge diesel - just snaps. When it running it runs great and pulls strong, so I don't think the timing is off. This one really has me stumped. Sorry for the long post but needed to explain the story.

Attached Thumbnails Crankshaft Key (woodruff)-woodruff1.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 01:34 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb flywheel key?

Ones I have seen do this flywheel was not tightened properly. (proper torque) or flywheel wore & too loose fit on crank. Hopefully crank is not wore I can see where the sheared key wore around the crank?? Perry