CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Sat on the new Outlander 500L, very nice machine, anyone here have time on one

Old 06-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat on the new Outlander 500L, very nice machine, anyone here have time on one

I took a trip to my local dealer and sat on the new Outlander 500L, I must say it was extremely comfortable and the ergonomics seemed to be outstanding. Disclaimer I have always owned Honda and currently have a 2008 Rancher 4x4 manual. What I noticed right away was the comfort of the seat and how narrow the midsection was, it really did not feel much larger than the 2015 Rancher I went to look at. Furthermore the controls on the 500L were easy to modulate including the throttle it seemed to take less effort to push (better on the thumb muscle on full day rides it would seem) and its actuation just seemed like it was more natural then my Rancher. Unfortunately the dealer did not want me to take it for spin in the parking lot so I really have no basis to evaluate its ride characteristics. As such I am curious if anyone here has a 500L and what their experiences have been? Also did Cam-Am fix the issue with belt slippage? I few rides with friends with a 2010 Can-Am Outlander 650 and 2012 Renegade 800 seemed to both have issues with belt slippage when forging through water that was no higher then the top of our tires (26 inches deep) both Can-Ams got stuck in the middle of the water way as each unit took on water in the belt housing. We had to pull them out to shore and drain the belt housing before we could continue our ride. Anyway not knocking Can-Am but would love to know if this issue has been address as I might be interested in the 500L as it is a seemingly nice machine for the money. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

'16 models just announced on website. 570 now instead of 500, and no included 5 year warranty. Leftover 500 might get a discount?... I debated getting one, but for work only and no play at all, not as much low end torque, and I don't like CVTs for work compared to manual. I know of only one Can Am in the area, a bigger one (I never asked size and haven't been close to it). He hasn't had major issues that I've heard, but he mainly uses it to check his pivots, some hunting, not much real work just road driving.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Your friends Can Ams must have a leak some place it the CVT housing or vent tubes. My friends easily goes through seat height on his 2009 800 Outlander. The only way water can enter the belt is if you go in water above the air intakes ,which are mounted up high.
As for work and CVT , my 500 in low range can pull harder then my friends 500 Foreman may also be due to AWD vs 3x4.

The 500 is crazy power (40hp) for a 500 put its a twin and it needs high revs to make that power. Personally I think 500cc is a bit small to be a twin. I,d look at the 650 atleast.

Here is the 500 Outlander in a shootout 4x4 ATVs Comparison Test Report - What's the Best 500 Utility ATV?. They seem to say the same, not much low end grunt but in the higher rpms will go like a Banshee. On the other hand the 650 can do both.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Supposedly the new 570 makes 48 hp, which puts it right at the same amount of power as a Yamaha Grizzly 700. I think it still is basically the same price as the 500 was minus the free 5 year warranty. The Grizzly would still most likely have more low end power having about 120cc more displacement but the 570 would be faster on top end as even the 500 had a higher top speed than the 700. I like the fact that the Outlander L has real steel racks and not the plastic ones. As ks11 said, since the 2016 models have been released with a new 570 model, you might be able to get a good deal on the 2014 and 2015 500 models they haven't sold yet. I believe you're very much leaning toward buying the Can Am, you just want know if its going to be the right machine for you. I think if you want an atv for work, then the 500L won't be a great choice because its made more for recreational riding. If you want to just use it to ride for fun, then that's a different story. I'd have to ride one to really know if it honestly lacked low end power. The difference is probably only slight as compared to a single cylinder of similar displacement and power such as the Sportsman 570.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

FYI Yamaha also has new models coming. Kodiak 700 starts at 6999 I think but no diff lock at that, manual 4x4 lever, steering etc adds more. Also, by the description, not as "sporty", more work tuned than racing. If I was "working" a cvt model Yamaha probably would be my pick. Just goofing around, probably doesn't matter/personal preference. Can Am forums say to look at Honda/Yamaha for work as well, at least a bunch of them do (I asked there some time ago).

Old 06-07-2015, 10:11 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Kodiak 700 starts at 6999 I think but no diff lock at that
Hard to believe that any 4x4 Yamaha has no diff lock now especially a big bore even my 350 has it. It's probably just considered a given now and they do not even mention it any longer as a feature.
Like cars with electric windows and air conditioning its just the norm not a feature any longer.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was wondering if the new 708cc Wolverine R-Spec engine would make its way into the Grizzly. Well, this new Kodiak 700 and the Grizzly 700 both appear to have it. The base Kodiak 700 model might not have power steering or diff-lock but its the only 700+cc machine that retails for under $7000. This was built to directly compete with the new Can Am Outlander 570L and Polaris Sportsman 570. I think Yamaha may have outsmarted themselves though. With the Kodiak 700 being much less expensive than the Grizzly 700 and having the same amount of power, they will sell a lot more Kodiak 700's than Grizzly 700's. You can still get diff-lock if you get the Kodiak 700SE model and its the same price as the base model Grizzly 700 with no power steering. I wouldn't pay almost $2000 more just to get diff-lock and most customers won't either. Figure in real world pricing approaching $6000+taxes and fees and this new base Kodiak 700 model will outsell Grizzly 700 models at least 2-1. I'm guessing the Grizzly 700 is going to be phased out by this new Kodiak 700 model or perhaps for 2017 Yamaha will finally put a bigger, v-twin in the Grizzly. I just don't see the reasoning behind having 2 models that are so similar unless its a one year overlap leading to a completely new Grizzly model for 2017.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:17 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Does the 700 Kodiak have a low range? Not putting in diff lock as standard is pretty silly. You may want to save cost but that's not the place to do it.

OK I found it http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...2=478212&go=Go Looks like for $2000 more you also get brighter Tiple LED headlighting, adjustable shocks ,more front suspension travel ,diff lock, parking gear and 2wd/4wd electric on the fly rather then come to a stop mechanical 2wd/4wd selector and larger 26" tires.

Not sure if that would be worth $2000 more to me also.

The Kodiak 700 EPS SE with diff lock,EPS,On Command 4wd and alloy rims sure has the base 700 Grizzly beat for the same money. http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...=478212&go2=Go click on the image and even the rims look good.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess some of the dimensions are slightly different so the Grizzly 700 and the Kodiak 700 aren't exactly the same. The Kodiak has 25" tires vs the Grizzly's 26" so that's why the 1/2" less ground clearance. Grizzly is wider too by about 2". 46" was the original width of the Grizzly but was widened last year to make it feel more stable. The difference in seat height of just over 2" is a bit of a mystery. Perhaps the Grizzly has a thicker, plusher seat? All the other important specs are the same though such as wheelbase, fuel capacity and suspension specs. The Kodiak has a tighter turning radius due to its narrower track width so its more manuverable. All in all other than track width and the seat, they're basically the same, except one has power steering(and nicer wheels) and the other doesn't.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

The Kodiak is an interesting option, like mentioned earlier it feels as though it is a direct response to the Outlander 500L and Sportsman 570 price point. I welcome such competition as it is a benefit to the consumer. In my opinion, competition in a non-big-bore segment is over due, as for me, I cannot simply drop $9-10k on a new ride.

So where is the info on the Can-Am 570L, I did a quick google search and did not come up with anything?

Finally I see that Can-Am also makes the 450L with a single cylinder, I wonder if it has more low end torque as compared to the twin in the 500? I ride mostly hard pack very hilly terrain in northern new hampshire and feel that snappy low end torque is best to claw up steep mountain passes as opposed to all out top end speed. In other words the type of trails I ride it is 75% hard packed (single track) hills and tight turns and 25% fire roads to access the the single tracked trails.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sat on the new Outlander 500L, very nice machine, anyone here have time on one