CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Can Am Outlander L Max 500 with kids

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Am Outlander L Max 500 with kids

I am looking to get my first ATV for some riding around a farm, trails, and I would like to be able to ride with a passenger so that if one of my kids (6&8) want to ride with me they can. First off has anyone ever ridden with kids on this ATV and if so how was their experience. A side by side is out because there are very few places around me that allow them.

My second question is for transportation I am looking at a small utility trailer such as this one from tractor supply.

Carry-On Trailer Mesh Floor Utility Trailer, 5 ft. x 8 ft., 2,000 GVWR - For Life Out Here

It has a mesh floor instead of wood. I think it would be fine but would appreciate any feedback from someone that knows more than me. I will want to travel at interstate speeds (70mph) not just around town.

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have read bad things about that mesh floor in those trailers. Some combat that by putting a wood floor on top of the mesh. The mesh just isn't that strong. It gives too much under a heavy load. Its really meant for hauling lighter items that are just too bulky to to fit in your truck bed or if you have no truck at all. Something like a 2 seater quad would be a heavy load for a trailer like this. Adding wood on top of the mesh takes stress away from the mesh and adds strength to the floor. Other than the floor, they seem to be pretty good trailers.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My brother had one of those. It was ok, we used it to transport lighter sport quads. Keep in mind the size is overall dimensions, you will need to go up a size or two for the 2up Can Am. A 50" 450 racer just barely fits, we had to put them on backwards otherwise the rear grab bar would rub on the ramp when it was up. You could easily throw a few 2x6 or 2x8 down to spread the atv weight around a bit.

Just curious, where do you live that places don't allow side by sides? NY suck as they currently won't register anything over 1000 pounds, and it is technically illegal to ride anything not registered except on your own property. Most places look the other way tbough. NY would have a lot more $$ if they would stop listening to the namby pambies and just let these things be registered.

Personal opinion from just riding with a few of these while we were in a side by side, they were pretty sweet! On the more technical stuff, our side by was more stable over the technical terrain. It was easier for my passenger to see the trail and what was coming up. If you are riding kids over easy terrain, these should fit the bill just fine though. They seemed pretty capable.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info guys. I was a little worried about the mesh on the trailer. I think laying 2x8s over the mesh and bolting the the frame will be easy and very solid. I saw some youtube videos on what others have done and plan to use some of their ideas. Just more money to spend on something the wife doesn't want which doesn't help.

As far as trails go the closest place will be South Pedlar ATV in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest in VA.

George Washington & Jefferson National Forests - South Pedlar ATV Trail System

They don't allow side by sides but allow you to carry a passenger on an ATV made to carry a passenger. I have looked online and it seems lots of places on the east coast don't allow side by sides.

I live near the coast and have to drive to get to most trails. Everyone around here says get a boat but owning and operating a boat makes takes big bucks and this appeals to me much more. There are very few trails around me so consider yourself fortunate to have anything near you. My parents live in VA so I have a free place to stay and babysitters if I want to go out alone.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Just watched a few videos of South Peddlar. Looks like a place I may try someday. I don't see you having any issue with a 50" side by side in there. That is what they are made for.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

It says

Only four wheel ATV's, motorcycles, and bicycles permitted on designated trails.

Would a side by side be considered an ATV? I assumed not but I really don't know.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

It says less than 50" and 1500 lbs. The trails in the videos are over 50" so it really comes down to the gates at the trailhead. I saw a 48" model easily slide through. Didn't see any sxs in the video to be truthful. I would love to see someone that has ridden there chime in. Maybe a quick call to the office?

Old 02-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Big red, sounds like you are in Northern Virginia. Yep, Virginia is pretty backwards when it comes to ATV's. The good news is there are some clubs in the area. Northern VA trail riders is one I am most familiar with, and they do a lot of stuff at South Pedlar. Not to worry though, if you are into driving a little, there are all sorts of trail system in PA, West Virginia, MD etc. Regarding your trailer. Just a little advice. No matter what anyone tells you, always take time to grease the wheel bearings on any new trailer. At least you didn't get one of those bolt together ones that they sell at harbor freight. As long as it fits, you should be OK. OBTW, I live in Stafford.

The folks at FMS on Rt 3 have trailers as well. Not sure if you purchased your machine there, but they have Load Rite trailers. that is where I bought mine nearly 20 years ago. Good people to deal with.