CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Buying a new Can-AM

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrock
Just fold for thought. the doors add strength to the whole roll bar system in case of a roll over
I know rollovers can happen even in terrain that looks mild but I'm not to worried. We're older novice riders and don't run hard or fast nor do we ride hard trails. Most places we ride I can easily take my Ford Expedition and the kids ATV's top out at 25mph so we seldom go much faster. (not sayin I haven't tested the top speed of the Rzr)

Our ATV's would be the used ones you hope to find for sale. Low hours/miles, well maintained, and never abused. My Can-AM has DSS and came with a 'normal' key and a 'performance' key. The performance key is still sealed in the plastic bag.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
A full faced helmet helps a lot when it's cold like that. I learned the hard way not to take the helmet off when loading up to go home. It was so cold I started shivering. I never shiver. That was 18 with a 45 mph wind.... I've thought about getting a windshield off and on. Never remember to actually go looking for one though.
Idaho requires kids under 18 to wear helmets so we normally wear ours to set an example. If I were to ride to town again at those temps I would take the extra minute to throw on the brain bucket.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm happy to hear you ride like I do. ATVs can be dangerous, but driven responsibly, they are perfectly fine. You are setting a fine example for your kids.

I'm wondering, is Idaho an ATV friendly state? Can ATVs be ridden on pulblic roadways? I think Utah is also ATV friendly.

David

Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer

Idaho is very ATV friendly. Just have to put restricted use plates and OHV sticker. IIRC the plate was $24 and good for 7 years, the OHV sticker renews annually at $12

Q. Where can I ride with my restricted use plate and OHV sticker?
A. All state or federal roads, excluding state and federal highways and interstates, will be open to off-highway motorcycles, ATVs and UTVs with a restricted use plate and current year OHV sticker unless a local ordinance is adopted to close a road to such use or otherwise determined closed by a federal land manager. Designated OHV riding areas, areas open to cross-country motorized travel and designated motorized trail systems on public land will require both the restricted use plate and the OHV sticker.
The new restricted-use license plate will also allow OHVs legal access to city and county roads.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the info. Sounds like Idaho is the ideal place to own and operate an ATV.

We gotta get more western states following Idaho's lead.

Be sure to enjoy your new Rzr. It's a great machine.

David