CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Attention to real Can-Am owners. Need opinions

Old 06-24-2016, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention to real Can-Am owners. Need opinions

OK, I know I have been Jones-ing for a new Can-Am for a year or more now. I am really sold on the 850 XMR. I would not hear the end of it if I did not provide for Mrs. DB too, so I was thinking about a new 650 XMR for her. Possibly a 570XMR. I know all about the machines, we won't really go mudding with them, at least not intentionally anyway. But my question really boils down to this. I have done a great deal of research and talked to several heavy hitters in the Can-Am world, and I think it is safe to say, the larger motor units are having problems with the rear diff. Not going to go into this here, but I know that Can-Am has come up with a supposedly stronger diff for the XMR lineup. Then I hear that the part numbers for the internals between the normal models and the XMR are identical. I can't vouch for that. So if anyone knows the truth, please speak up. I don't know the guy that is crying about this, and I admit he is a dyed in the wool Polaris owner. But he was pretty adamant about that. If I am going to spend that kind of $ for two new XMR's I want to know that it will take the abuse. In all fairness, I hear Polaris has transmission problems with their older diesel SxS's too. One of the reasons they have switched to a hydrostatic Drive like what you find on small tractors. But anyway, I'd really like to hear about anything people have heard. I understand the 2017 models have even more improvements in the XMR diffs. But who do you trust? I am not hard on my equipment. I am never going to see Muskeg like they have in Canada, so I don't think we would have the same problems as the guys running hard up there, but I am just trying to avoid any significant problems.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

We've had the 500 and my present 650 engines/transmissions and haven't had a single issue with anything mentioned. The majority of guys I ride with are on Can-Ams from the 500 to the 1000 including a couple XMR's. Oldest is probably mine now with the 2012. I have somewhere over 2500 miles on mine with zero issues to the drivetrain. I don't know a single owner of the 24 or so that I've ridden with that has had any driveline issues. We ride in a mix of rocks, snow, sand, rocks, mud, hard pack, deep water, and rocks. Honestly, it's rough on quads. Not like just dealing with sand in the desert or hard pack and rocks, in Utah.

If you don't need to go through nasty mudholes I wouldn't personally go with the XMR's just for the "rear diff" issue. It has a higher center of gravity as it is the same width as the regular quads but higher.

The best way to find out if there is different diffs between the different models look at the part diagrams from online parts sources for each model or ask the mechanics at your local dealership. Here's an online source: Can-Am ATV OEM Parts, Cheap Cycle Parts

Old 06-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah but there are other reasons I like the HMRs too. Mainly because I think they are bad *** looking. Getting the Rad out of the line of fire from rocks etc is kind of a neat feature. I don't use the front racks so why not. It also makes it possible to put a second battery on board. And because I will be plowing snow etc, having that onboard is an added benefit too.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

I am pretty much guessing this dude was blowing smoke. I know a guy in Canada who makes a living rebuilding them up there. Granted their riding environment is way different than ours. This guy can tell you bearing sizes, when they changed etc. He knows everything about the diffs, and he says they are different.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard (so take it with a grain of salt) that the only models that get the stronger differential are the XMR 1000r renegade and Outlanders and that the 570s, 650s and 850s (including XMR models) all have the standard rear differential. I've never had a driveline issue with either of my Can ams, but then again, Ive never pushed the envelope in regards to extreme tire sizes. If I was going out with 29+ inch tires, I'd want the beefier diff.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

This goes along with what someone else said too. he made it a point to list part numbers etc. I tried to pull up the items in the CAN-Am parts catalog and could not verify. That book will give you a headache for sure.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

While I acknowledge that certain riders and type of riding style/environment may be leading to some failures of the Diffs, it appears that the majority of owners are not reporting any problems. The problem seems to be related to some deep mud riders and many from Canada who really push their machines to the absolute limit. Myself and Mrs DB do not ride aggressively. So I do not expect any issues with a 650 and an 850 XMR.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

You going to go for it, Draggin?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, probably going to be next year though. My youngest is begging me to help get him into college. (Imagine that) So the new machines are going to have to be put on hold, at least for now. My wife is so-so on the idea. But I don't care, maybe I'll just get me an 850 XMR and a 1000 Renegade XT in all black... Yeah that works for me. She doesn't really need a new machine anyway since hers is the newest in the shed and has very few hours on it. I was just thinking about a new one with EPS for her, but she has been kind of cranky lately, might just have to leave her at home or in the toy hauler to fix dinner.... She would probably like that actually.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Yes, probably going to be next year though. My youngest is begging me to help get him into college. (Imagine that) So the new machines are going to have to be put on hold, at least for now. My wife is so-so on the idea. But I don't care, maybe I'll just get me an 850 XMR and a 1000 Renegade XT in all black... Yeah that works for me. She doesn't really need a new machine anyway since hers is the newest in the shed and has very few hours on it. I was just thinking about a new one with EPS for her, but she has been kind of cranky lately, might just have to leave her at home or in the toy hauler to fix dinner.... She would probably like that actually.
Copy, paste, send.... Good thing we don't know her email address.... Still chuckling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attention to real Can-Am owners. Need opinions