CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

No ECM Communication 2006 boutlander 800

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No ECM Communication 2006 boutlander 800

Hey guys, looking for a little help on my 2006 outlander 800.
So I was out plowing the other day and the wheeler started acting up, spitting and sputtering as if it was running on 1 cylinder. It did not flash up that it was limp home mode. I brought it in the garage and put the heat on it ( the machine was completely pack with snow )
Heated it up and she started right up and was running great. Before I brought it out I did a quick check for any lose wires and battery cables. Long story short,,, as soon as it gets in some deep snow for a little bit it will start acting up again. It usually happens after really getting on it for a couple of minutes and when you stop and idle it will start acting up.
I decided to let it idle for a little bit when it was acting up, it finally stalled out and I got a message that said no ECM connection. I was able to make this happen several timers.
Here is a list of things I have done.
Brand new battery
Took both battery cables off and inspected them, cleaned and reinstalled
Check Regulator output
Checked stator output
Checked fuses in the front and the rear
Checked all cables in the rear of the machine taking them off and cleaning them
Unplugged every connection I could find on the machine and made sure they had no water or corrosion on them, added dielectric to all of them.

After all of this, it is still acting up, once again, this only happens after it has been running for a little while. I also checked to see if the fan is working by bypassing the relay and it does.
I do realize that the relay still could be bad and or the temp sensor.
SO at the end of the day it is almost like there is 2 issues.
1. Runs extremely rough and will stall out in deep snow once up to temp. If it does stall out it says no ECM communication
2. Fan is not coming on by itself.

If there is any other suggestion for me to try, your input would be greatly appreciated.