CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Anyone run Taller Haulers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2000, 11:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get paddles for the ds. I was looking at Skat-trak website and it says haulers are for 250's and 350's taller haulers are for 500's and up. I haven't heard of anyone using the taller haulers. How come? I will probably run 20" or 21" taller hauler in 9 or 10 paddle. Any ideas? I have a Wood Rotax stage 1 kit on it.

Old 04-11-2000, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am running 20x10x10 9 paddle haulers and the crazy amount of traction I got from those, I would be worried about toasting my clutch with taller haulers. As it is I started to smell the clutch after about 30 min. of ridding. It was probably partially because of the smaller sprocket in the rear too. I just don't want to find out the cost to have the clutch replaced. With the regular haulers on there though, I got no slip at all. Pure traction from start to stop. I personally don't see a need to go to the tallers.

Old 04-12-2000, 01:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

LUBA, I am running 20x10x10 9 paddle haulers. They hook up great but can still spin quite a bit and take a second to get the DS moving. This was when I was running 100% stock. I haven't ridden with the dune tires since I have my ron woods mods - maybe this coming weekend. I can guarentee that there will be more spin at takeoff, depending on how you roll on the throttle, due to the increased HP at the lowend. With the ron woods stage one kit running pretty good, I can spin the dirt tires to the "rev limit" in first, into second and into third at takeoff in grass or dirt. I can also take off in 2nd gear and spin. My tires are smoked by the way. Razrs are on there way.

I would try to find someone in the forums maybe, who has run taller haulers and get their opinion. I don't think the DS with ron wood mods running peak would lack power for the taller haulers. What I'm not sure of is how the taller haulers perform compared to standard haulers. Do the taller haulers dig more instead of glide? From what I've read in the forums, wheel spin/velocity and flotation are key to a drag race.

Old 04-24-2000, 08:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm not sure tauler haulers are the way to go. I was at Little Sahara www.waynoka.com this weekend and didn't NOTICE anyone running tauler haulers, although I didn't examine everyones tires up close. There were some FAST and I mean FAST highly modified banshees and quadzillas there, some running alcohol. Some were running taller than 20" (more paddles), standard paddle height haulers as far as I could tell, with extended swingarms. The other reason is that I was unable to keep the motor from bogging when taking off in 2nd gear with my tires. Yes, my kit was not running good though. I rode a stock DS650 with 20x11x9 v-paddles, I think skat-trak (not sure), and they seemed to hook up better for some reason, or maybe my kit running poorly gave this impression. The guy running the banshee turbo had 25" standard paddle height haulers. His wheel speed was 150MPH with his land speed at 100MPH.

Old 04-26-2000, 05:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you go with tauler haulers, one thing to consider is the number of paddles. With this more aggressive tire, you might want to reduce the number of paddles that you would run on the standard height paddle. You can call Skat-Trak and get their advice. I might be buying a v-shaped paddle tire to reduce vibration, improve steering, and improve dune riding along the bowl of a dune. By the way, I'm not convinced that high wheel velocity/spin in a drag race is the key to winning. I beat some banshees while the DS was bogging, and it appeared that the traction I was getting off the line had something to do with it. Don't get 0.160 rims, get 0.190.